Discuss Company kit and tools stolen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Guess the employer might say, that’s okay then, don’t take our van home with you.
To which the only reasonable alternative solution would be to pick up the van from the yard every day after they have paid your travelling time and vehicle costs.

To which the only reasonable alternative solution would be to pick up the van from the yard every day after they have paid your travelling time and vehicle costs.

As it’s been stated, depends on your contract. Some contracts mean your day starts and finishes at your place of work, not at your home address.

As it’s been stated, depends on your contract. Some contracts mean your day starts and finishes at your place of work, not at your home address.
My point exactly. This contract seems to include a van to take home so the working day starts and ends there. Therefore the van should be appropriately insured for overnight away from the yard.

My point exactly. This contract seems to include a van to take home so the working day starts and ends there. Therefore the van should be appropriately insured for overnight away from the yard.
Suppose the OP should find out exactly or say if he knows. But it’s the employers property, insurance etc. They can tell you how you use it.

How do you work 9 hour days thow plus 3 hours travel and still have time to go to the office every day? Then take another 45 mins to get home. Can’t be done. Would only get 6 hours work done per day. Then spend the rest of the time driving to the office.

How do you work 9 hour days thow plus 3 hours travel and still have time to go to the office every day? Then take another 45 mins to get home. Can’t be done. Would only get 6 hours work done per day. Then spend the rest of the time driving to the office.
Which is why you'd need remuneration for your time. Anyway, that's not even a real situation. The real situation is your company are asking to use your home insurance for their gear when they should be providing their own.

With the tool/ insurance job,there are a lot of lads using the words "think,should,and reasonable"
Facts are,if you do not have the specifics written on your insurance,contract of employment,or additional permissions,plus,none of the last page exclusions apply....then you are not certain of cover.

Hope,expect and wish,do not help,when £13,500 worth of kit goes...?

As an extra,i would say that well over half the folk,who obtain insurance over the internet,are not covered to the extent they believe....some not at all.

Some of my lads pals,have had to re-think their insurance,as it did not apply driving to work...not for work,but to work?

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Its the employers property, 'you're' given dispensation to take home a company vehicle, at a benefit to yourself. Your employer is asking you to take additional security measures, which is not unreasonable. I quite often see advice about unloading vans of tools etc overnight.

The only point I take, is the impact this might have on your household insurance in terms of cover & increased premiums. If that does alter your circumstances, then the individual might need to reassess, whether to take the vehicle home.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Its the employers property, 'you're' given dispensation to take home a company vehicle, at a benefit to yourself. Your employer is asking you to take additional security measures, which is not unreasonable. I quite often see advice about unloading vans of tools etc overnight.

The only point I take, is the impact this might have on your household insurance in terms of cover & increased premiums. If that does alter your circumstances, then the individual might need to reassess, whether to take the vehicle home.
The use of a van for a worker also benefits the company in that there is no commuting time to account and pay for.
Yes it might be a reasonable request for some, but as stated in the OP some co-workers live in flats with no storage space so in this case it may not be a reasonable request at all.

I doubt I'd be making a few trips lugging gear up a few flights of stairs to take to my flat with no storage space so I could stare at it in my living room all night, just because my company decided that van vaults and tool insurance are savings they could make at the expense of workers' time and personal space backed up with threats of financial penalty.

The use of a van for a worker also benefits the company in that there is no commuting time to account and pay for.
Yes it might be a reasonable request for some, but as stated in the OP some co-workers live in flats with no storage space so in this case it may not be a reasonable request at all.

I doubt I'd be making a few trips lugging gear up a few flights of stairs to take to my flat with no storage space so I could stare at it in my living room all night, just because my company decided that van vaults and tool insurance are savings they could make at the expense of workers' time and personal space backed up with threats of financial penalty.

Well I understand we all do not live in residential properties with off road parking, but thats not the employers problem, is it?

My last employer, only paid me from hours starting from the place of work (business address). They cared not a jot, that it took 45mins for me to get from home to my place of work, to pick up the company vehicle. As I said before, there are tax incentives for taking home a company vehicle, that also needs consideration.

Well I understand we all do not live in residential properties with off road parking, but thats not the employers problem, is it?

Not the employees problem if the employer chooses to neglect proper measures to secure their goods when the employee is out of work hours. Are these guys getting paid extra to be 24 hour custodians of gear that isn't theirs ?

I'll leave it now as it's clear we have opposite views and this could go on forever ?

Not the employees problem if the employer chooses to neglect proper measures to secure their goods when the employee is out of work hours. Are these guys getting paid extra to be 24 hour custodians of gear that isn't theirs ?

I'll leave it now as it's clear we have opposite views and this could go on forever ?
Agree on your last sentence. :)

If anyone should be listened to in a thread about theft, it's a scouser. ;) I agree.
very few Scousers would nick a tradesman's tools off his van. might leave it on bricks, but at least yous got yer tools to walk to work with. :mad::mad::mad:

Reply to Company kit and tools stolen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock