Discuss Compliance certificate part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Johnf62

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Wickes have just finished installing a pump under the bath. The socket is next to the pump but it is unaccessible due to a sealed bath panel. I’m not sure if this is ok. We were given no certificate on completio but I’m not sure if it is needed or not. The supply comes from the airing cupboard. Photos attached. It goes from the silver socket into the socket above it. Any help appreciated as I do not want issues in the future.
thanks

John

Attachments

• IMG_1547.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 33
You should have been given a part p compliance certificate as the work is in a bathroom, although it can take up to 30 days to arrive.
You should also have received either a minor electrical works certificate or an installation certificate for the work done, depending on whether a new circuit was installed.
The location of the pump is not regarded as being in any of zones 0, 1, or 2, as long the bath panel can only be removed by means of a tool.

That's pretty rough, have to say. Was the socket there already? If so then it doesn't need an installation certificate as such simply because all they've done is basically created an extension cable - electrically speaking that's no different just to poking a 4way through the wall. If the airing cupboard is adjacent then I'd have taken the flex from the pump through the wall and you could then put a 13A plug back on it, no problem.

But if they've added that socket first then yes, it needs a certificate. If the work isn't in a bathroom then Part P won't (normally) apply either.

BUT BUT BUT..... check that socket is protected by an RCD!!!

You should have been given a part p compliance certificate as the work is in a bathroom, although it can take up to 30 days to arrive.
You should also have received either a minor electrical works certificate or an installation certificate for the work done, depending on whether a new circuit was installed.
The location of the pump is not regarded as being in any of zones 0, 1, or 2, as long the bath panel can only be removed by means of a tool.
That's pretty rough, have to say. Was the socket there already? If so then it doesn't need an installation certificate as such simply because all they've done is basically created an extension cable - electrically speaking that's no different just to poking a 4way through the wall. If the airing cupboard is adjacent then I'd have taken the flex from the pump through the wall and you could then put a 13A plug back on it, no problem.

But if they've added that socket first then yes, it needs a certificate. If the work isn't in a bathroom then Part P won't (normally) apply either.

BUT BUT BUT..... check that socket is protected by an RCD!!!
Hi,

The socket and pump are all new. Nothing there previously. I don’t think the flex was long enough to reach an existing socket. They have run it through the wall to an airing cupboard and then into the normal socket. But acable does run out of that socket to the fused socket above. When you say RCD we have the usual fuse box with individual switches. Is that the same thing. Sorry for my ignorance I was expecting Wickes to be on top of all this. It just looked bad to me in case the pump leaked.
thanks for your replies.
John

Out of interest...
Does the flat cable go into the plug (both red arrows) ? Might be optical illusion.
Is the fused spur with green arrow (with a tasty hole in top) now used for anything?

1684703097439.png

The black flex on that pump looks to be about 6 feet long , so I would have fished the flex up into the airing cupboard and put it on a fused spur in the cupboard.
I'm not a fan of the 13amp socket on the floor in the bathroom

The whole pump should have been mounted in the airing cupboard (not directly on the floor) if at all possible, and plumbed in properly. As it is, apparently plumbed into existing pipes, it looks like it could draw air into the pump.

Out of interest...
Does the flat cable go into the plug (both red arrows) ? Might be optical illusion.
Is the fused spur with green arrow (with a tasty hole in top) now used for anything?

View attachment 108343
Hi, the pump cable goes in to the 13amp plug which is always on. Then another cable runs from the 13 amp into the white fused box above. The silver fused box is never on. It’s the old immersion heater So I think the white flat cable is not in use. Thanks

Reply to Compliance certificate part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net