Discuss Confused with Forum Position on DIY in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is there a diy forum where we can go on and ask for advice on things such as;
burning up flat pack furniture,
Shelves , over the workbench
Hanging the kids ,
Putting up pictures of the wife naked on faceache, etc :laughing:

corrected that for you.

You are unlikely to die following DIY instructions for hanging a picture in your hall.

On the assumption that the cables in the wall either >50mm or RCD protected. But surely by the rule of nature and evolution, hanging a picture directly above socket / switch before 16th would have helped in the evolution of the human race. Or am I being sinical?
No mate you're being Cynical:tongue::tongue: ,

The ones that I dislike are "I'm not an electrician but when it is all finished I am going to get an electrician to sign it all off for me" but how do I wire these extra sockets to my socket circuit (as they have no way of knowing the existing is a ring or radial or if the socket they are coming off is already a spur off a spur).

Last edited:
Generally I find that DIYers believe that because it works then the job is good. Just highlighting the use of test equipment and the testing involved (and reason for the test) can make them realise a spark is needed. I often tell my customers that the tests are not to check it works but to confirm that it'll stop working when there is a fault. When they do the work they only effectively tick the 'functional check' tick box.

We get all sorts of 'DIYers' ranging from genuinely clueless to people with electronics degrees. We just have to take them as we find them on a case by case basis.

If they're out of their depth and/or they don't have suitable test equipment to prove safety, usually if someone tactfuly explains the pitfalls of the job they're trying to do and the reason they should reconsider they're happy to get some help from a professional. There's been quite a few occasions over the years where forum members have got some work for themselves by constructively engaging with DIY'ers.

An American electrical forum I’m a member of has this in the rules:

This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
DIY questions will not be tolerated

You have to bear in mind the American litigation culture, something that is now unfortunately increasing in the UK. Also take in to account NEC codes are statute whereas BS7671 regulations* aren’t.

*A regulation would imply legality although they are in reality a code of practice.

The bottom line is “its up to you if you answer a DIY question”.

Reply to Confused with Forum Position on DIY in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock