Discuss Confused in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KFORDHUNTER

:confused: Am i right to presume that now we are working under the 17th edition, if we go into somebodys house and do even the smallest job, say like changing a socket face we have to make sure that the circuit is backed up by an rcd and the bonding is up to scratch; and if it isn't we cannot carry out any work until it is, because everytime i price up a job now i seem to be telling them they need a board change and a bonding upgrade, i seem to be losing out on loads of work because they are unwilling to pay for the extra work.

This is really affecting my workload and i am concerned i am being to strict to the regs, does anybody else have these problems, really appreciate your response :)

:confused: Am i right to presume that now we are working under the 17th edition, if we go into somebodys house and do even the smallest job, say like changing a socket face we have to make sure that the circuit is backed up by an rcd and the bonding is up to scratch; and if it isn't we cannot carry out any work until it is, because everytime i price up a job now i seem to be telling them they need a board change and a bonding upgrade, i seem to be losing out on loads of work because they are unwilling to pay for the extra work.

This is really affecting my workload and i am concerned i am being to strict to the regs, does anybody else have these problems, really appreciate your response :)

well you would have had to do the bonding under the 16th anyway, 130-07-01 springs to mind, it is now 130.8.1 but the requirement is the same

if there is bonding in place you arnt obliged to upgrade it to 10mm if its 6mm already just write a comment on your cert stating upgrade recommended.you cant force people to upgrade, if there isnt any then obviously it needs doin.131.8 tells you the earthing and bonding need to be adequate not that they have to be up to current standards.
The rcd seems to be obligatory tho:(

:(i face this problem on a daily basis ,everyone thinks you are trying to rip them off,lets face it there has not been any publicity outside the trade about the changes has there:rolleyes:

Main bonding is always first on the check list for me, and it gets upgraded before we do any work even if its got some small bonds in place. Thats what i was taught by the all seeing eye that is brian scadden and i guess he should know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>everyone thinks you are trying to rip them off<<
Tell me about it, latest was a new shower, take down old, put in new, simple. Except old was on a 6mm t&e and a 30a rewirable fuse. Bloody ell should have seen the face when I try and explain your new 10kw shower cannot be fitted without blah blah, I'm sure she thought I was related to jack the ripper. Not heard back so someone will probably have fitted it for 30 quid or something.

Not heard back so someone will probably have fitted it for 30 quid or something.

No doubt - probably a "freind".

Was asked to quote to connect a hot tub a couple of weeks ago. Pointed out that it needs RCD protection, it's own way in the CU, SWA cable as the supply was to be buried underground, isolator etc as was cleary specified in the hot tub's instruction book. Didn't want none of that!! They actually suggested I locate the RCD in the meter box on the outside wall as they didn't want it in the house. I think they were seriously suggesting I cut into the supply by the meter! They grudgingly agreed to SWA but wouldn't agree to an isolator as the tub had a switch on it.

Now I knew early on that I wasn't going to get the job. Clearly it was best to walk away, but I did spend some time trying to persuade them that the regulations were there for their safety and that whoever did the job for them should have the knowledge and ability to install it properly, and that an RCD to protect the rest of the house and garage wasn't such a bad idea. I bet if I went round there now I'd see it wired into an extension lead dangling out of the kitchen window, or some interesting and unual wiring installed by a "Friend" who did it for £30!

It's amazing that despite knowing that water and 'leccy do not mix, people are perfectly willing to take such risks to aviod paying a few quid for a safe installation. Yet they are willing to cough up thousands for a hot tub. I agree that it would help if the punters were more aware of the changes, but I guess nobody's willing to stump up the dough for a media campaign.

Reply to Confused in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net