Discuss Connect chandelier to the downlight power point in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pgnistru

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

We changed plans with lighting in one zone. Now instead of 4 downlights (square shape of 1400mm side) we want a chandelier. Since downlights are already wired and gyprock installed we cannot wire it up separately to the downlights.
I asked the supervisor to not drill holes so we can do it this way:
  1. Drill one hole to reach to one of the downlight power points in the ceiling
  2. Extend the cable by connecting it to that power point
  3. Install chandelier (there is a supporting timber) in the middle
  4. Then patch the hole
This work will be done by electrician, I wonder if it is ok from safety standards side?

Thank you!

Are you patching/removing the 4 existing downlights (i.e. there will only be the chandelier)?

In principle what you suggest is fine if done correctly, but it seems you are down under so one of our Oz members like @ElectroChem is better placed to discuss Aus regulations.

From a general point of view what matters is any hidden junction boxes are "maintenance free" types as they will not be accessible afterwards, and that the ends of any cables no longer needed due to removed lights are safely terminated (ideally made dead at the source end).

If the run from your switch to any of those lights is free enough then using the old cable to pull through a new longer cable (so no junctons in the roof) is a much better idea, but depending on routing that might not be feasible.

Are you patching/removing the 4 existing downlights (i.e. there will only be the chandelier)?

In principle what you suggest is fine if done correctly, but it seems you are down under so one of our Oz members like @ElectroChem is better placed to discuss Aus regulations.

From a general point of view what matters is any hidden junction boxes are "maintenance free" types as they will not be accessible afterwards, and that the ends of any cables no longer needed due to removed lights are safely terminated (ideally made dead at the source end).

If the run from your switch to any of those lights is free enough then using the old cable to pull through a new longer cable (so no junctons in the roof) is a much better idea, but depending on routing that might not be feasible.
Thank you heaps for your reply!
We are in the construction stage. The power points for the downlights are already installed as well as the gyprock. I asked the supervisor to not make those 4 holes. The intention is to make just one hole to connect to the power point behind it. Other 3 will sit there not connected to anything. In the end we will patch that hole and repaint the ceiling.
The main headache is that the chandelier needs to be hanged about 1 meter away from that power point and it will be hard to get through the lvl beams (it is the ground floor).

Reply to Connect chandelier to the downlight power point in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock