Discuss connecting 415v 3 phase motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lkpflk

i have replaced a 415v 3 phase motor at work. The old one had 3 terminals in a line, each with one internal wire connected, and one terminal on other side with 3 internal wires connected. The new one has 6 terminals, each with one internal wire connected. It came with 3 bridging links which i have used. However, when i run motor, it trips on overload after about 20 seconds, and blows a fuse. It also feels warm. Obviously, it is not connected correctly. Would appreciate any help. Thanx.

is the new motor same size/spec. as old one,check plate on motor ,when you connect motor are you connecting it in star or delta (check where you put the links)what size is the motor kw
yours benji

it is a 7.5kw motor, and the same spec as old one. As for star or delta, i don`t know. Just want it to work. Thanx.

sorry, that should read 0.75kw.

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds like the old motor was connected in "star" configuration

to achieve this the links need to go across the secondary terminals rather than between the two sets

Read the rating plate and see what it says . Connect links accordingly.

Would draw a picture but dont know how, not much good with computers, but in star, the 3 phases need connecting to U1 V1 W1, and the links want to be accross U2 V2 W2.

In delta it should be the three phases conected to U1 V1 W1 and then linked as follows, U1 toW2, (one link) V1 to U2 (second link) and W1 to V2 (last link)

This is providing it is a standard motor with nothing oddball about it, would be worth checking to see if you have all three phases at the motor, and putting the clamp meter on under load conditions and setting overload accordingly. Have you found out what knackered the old one, because if there is say a phase missing, or a dodgy contactor, then the new motor probably wont last long either.

Let us know how you get on.

Reply to connecting 415v 3 phase motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock