Discuss Cooker Isolation and Appliance Isolation Regulations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tell the inspector, or whoever is running the job ( show malc's comments) tell'em if they want the work to comply6, then they'll have tio supply the correct gear.

The problem is not the gear- the problem is that the designer clearly does not know what the hell their doing!
The tell us to do something and supply the kit that wont meet regs the way they want it.

The other problem is this contract is already a year in, and the other sparky has been doing it with the kit and issuing MWC and installing sockets directly over sinks and hobs, etc

Every time I say anything they just say well the other sparky managed it!

not a clue!

I keep hearing different stories

I am wondering if the other sparky has gone on holiday and Im covering (being lied to)

Also I have heard from another local spark I have worked closely to that this firm (previous spark) has lost their NIC reg twice already and got it back last year so I am really not sure whats going on there.

so next job. do it ewxactly as they say, then on the cert. enter the non compliances as deviations.

The 1st kitchen I did I used the JB, put them just above the worktop height so they cant be seen from standing - building inspector would not sign it off
The 2nd kitchen I used compression - the building inspector would not sign it off because a small gap between where the trunking meet (only 3mm) - he cant see that I used the compression as these are now in the roof void
The 3rd kitchen I could not install an extractor fan as the only 2 external walls either had a full size window or went into next door - building inspector would not sign it off
The 4th kitchen I am awaiting for the inspector to see in the morning to tell me if he will sign it off or not!

The 1st kitchen I changed to compression fix - got to wait now for BI
The 2nd kitchen the painter filled the small gap with dec croak - still waiting for BI
The 3rd - Not a clue how I am going to install at fan in this!
The 4th - we will see

The 4th needed a new CU as the old one only had 8 slots - all 8 taken
I am waiting to see how much the LA will pay for the new CU change (they supplied CU and MCBs) - knowing them prob only another £50 - it took me 4 hours inc testing! - I wont be happy!

Nicholas! You can get a window fan kit for the fan get them to cut the glass or just tell them to get some mug to do there crap work and sign it off for peanuts your not covering your costs clearly and only you will be out of pocket and still have nothing to show for what you have earned from them.

They are supplying the materials so they control everything and you don't make any money from it but this goes for the plumbing, carpentry etc too they get it all on the cheap because who they are. Don't forget any money to be made is there's

Nic, YOU are the one carrying out the work, and signing it off. YOU must be happy that it all complies and is safe. To hell with what anyone else has allegedly managed to do, this is YOUR work.
I totally agree, you should not have to supply materials to comply with BS7671, if materials are meant to be provided. It sounds like you need a proper meeting with Building Control to sort all this out, rather than doing as you are told and then hoping it will be ok. There is no reason, if you comply with electrical and building regs, why there should be any failures regarding signing off.
I feel very sorry for you in this instance, and hope you get it all sorted out soon.

I would install a window fan but they have not supplied one!

Like I said I am stuck between a brick and a hard place here

Earn £80 (after my costs) per kitchen (5 per week) or go back on benefits and get £110 per week as well as HB (£190 per week)

Even after tax thats £300 per week - still £110 more and it gets me out!

I did get a full industrial EICR off it as well (52 circuits at £20 per circuit) plus all repairs for that install as well.

There is not enough work down here at the moment to throw this in! I wish there was!

The thing is Nic, it's like Guitarist says YOU are signing work off as compliant when YOU know that it is not. Are you ok with that?
If it were to go horribly wrong and you ended up answering to a court for your actions do you think that court would accept "I needed the work and the money" as a valid excuse for these non compliances.
So you either have to stand up to these people and for what you know is right or get the building inspector to sign off on all this. In your position I'd be telling all and sundry what the deal is and I would not be putting my name on any cert for non compliant work. As far as this £15 per kitchen out of your pocket, no way man

Thanks Guitarist

The LABC have nothing to do with it - its the Public Housing Building Officer who is the pain in the a***.

I have been doing these for just over a week so far - (6 days in total) - I am going to see the main contractor tomorrow and find out what is on the list that he has to order from - for heaven sake they don't even supply earth slaving so I need to see if that's the contractors F*** up or the LA.

As far as the crimps I am still waiting to see how the want me to join the ring back together!

I will keep everyone informed

everything I do is to regs!

They wanted me to use JB - they went in kitchen - that complies
They wanted cables joined in roof - I compress fitted them - that complies
I messed up and forgot to fill the 3mm gap in trunking - that complies
I am issuing EICs instead of MWC - that complies

They have not had an invoice yet so that £15 is being added to each kitchen!

Not sure where you think it dont comply!

The only thing that dont comply is the way they wanted it - I refuse to do it that way!

I would install a window fan but they have not supplied one!

Like I said I am stuck between a brick and a hard place here

Earn £80 (after my costs) per kitchen (5 per week) or go back on benefits and get £110 per week as well as HB (£190 per week)

Even after tax thats £300 per week - still £110 more and it gets me out!

I did get a full industrial EICR off it as well (52 circuits at £20 per circuit) plus all repairs for that install as well.

There is not enough work down here at the moment to throw this in! I wish there was!

Look at the bigger picture
if you can work alone you can subby for £120 a day and still have materials supplied and still earn more and not have anything to worry about

See my previous posts - last month there were 22 electricians in a 10 mile radius of me - there are now 40 electricians on the Competent Persons Site
There are now 18 NAPIT registered in this area - there were 2 (plus me) when I first registered

This area only has a population of about 50,000 maximum and most are council and HA let - there is not enough work for that number of sparkies

The local college has just had 48 new electricians qualify - all looking for work and there aint any for them - most of them are going to end up in Tesco or JCP.

See my previous posts - last month there were 22 electricians in a 10 mile radius of me - there are now 40 electricians on the Competent Persons Site
There are now 18 NAPIT registered in this area - there were 2 (plus me) when I first registered

This area only has a population of about 50,000 maximum and most are council and HA let - there is not enough work for that number of sparkies

The local college has just had 48 new electricians qualify - all looking for work and there aint any for them - most of them are going to end up in Tesco or JCP.

nic man,stop being so defeatest,you have a chance to build on the work you have,like the extras you got,stop looking for excuses to go back on benefits,plenty would like to be in your position, i got my pay slip the other day for july's pay,i worked every day in june,every weekend 12 hour shifts including lizzys birthday weekend,total deductions.£2223.58 cry and dont bother i could,but i wont i know im lucky to be able to put the hours in,you get out what you put in,crack on and you will see the benefit.

Im not looking for excuses - Everything I try its like bashing my head against the wall!

I started doing Letting Agents - they would not pay
Started doing 230v on cars - no more work came in
then started doing new build F*** ups and got slatted by other electricians who dont know the diff from their head to their a***
then doing these kitchens and I am making jack s*** and got LA making every reason not to pay me

I hate being on benefits! but2 months ago I had no option!

Now Im off them I want to stay off them - and Im looking for somewhere else to live now - got to move out in 2 weeks - flat is up for sale by landlord

Reply to Cooker Isolation and Appliance Isolation Regulations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock