Discuss Crimping tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I understand that good connection is desirable, but I can't afford to pay 50$ or pounds, or euros, just to crimp 2-3 wires. That's just not acceptable. I will crimp it with tool I have, or with the one I suggested to buy. I have tried them, and I am sure it will hold for longer period of time. If someone has better solution, then I will reconsider.

If you only need a couple crimped then why not pay a local sparky or garage a couple of Euro (or a beer) to do it for you?

Spending even 5 Euro on a rubbish crimp tool for a couple of connections only does not make sense!

It is for a speaker, the ones in #11 will be fine no ones life depends on it.

I tried to crimp this small wire into but connector 1.5 mm, but wire is too small and I can't crimp it good. I don't know what the size of wire is.
What should I do with the wire, should I fold it back down the wire insulation and crimp all of it?
Crimping tool IMG_20200523_140056 - EletriciansForums.net

I tried to crimp this small wire into but connector 1.5 mm, but wire is too small and I can't crimp it good. I don't know what the size of wire is.
What should I do with the wire, should I fold it back down the wire insulation and crimp all of it?
You can fold back the conductor to crimp that with the metal part more effectively, but it is not a good idea to have any insulation in the conductor crimp section as the whole point of a reliable crimp joint is there is sufficient compression pressure to cold-weld the conductors together.

Not really. For a start they used different crimp tools - the "bad" one was not done with the correct style of crimp.

Also the red terminals should work for 0.5mm-1.5mm cable size, and if you double-back the conductor that is down to 0.25mm which is very thin, well below what is suitable for any sort of power (current rating around 2A or so). If the doubled-over conductor is not holding then it is simply a lack of crimp force!

Not really. For a start they used different crimp tools - the "bad" one was not done with the correct style of crimp.

Also the red terminals should work for 0.5mm-1.5mm cable size, and if you double-back the conductor that is down to 0.25mm which is very thin, well below what is suitable for any sort of power (current rating around 2A or so). If the doubled-over conductor is not holding then it is simply a lack of crimp force!
I tried to even fold wire 2x, but I just can't crimp it good, connector doesn't even hold the wire, yet alone compress it.

I refer you back to the original discussion about how rubbish those crimp tools are :(
I tried tool in #1. I can see that crimping space is higher then in tool in #11. I can buy tool #11 but I don't know if that's going to be better. Honestly, I think wire is too thin to be crimped in but connector, I might have to consider some other joint.

I tried tool in #1. I can see that crimping space is higher then in tool in #11. I can buy tool #11 but I don't know if that's going to be better.
It will not.

Look for a cheap ratchet style tool in your local DIY or automotive accessory type shops if you want something better.

Honestly, I think wire is too thin to be crimped in but connector, I might have to consider some other joint.
Try folding the wire twice (i.e. to 4 * original thickness).

Use uninsulated crimps, solder the wire in and use heat shrink sleeving.
Could have done them all in less time than it takes to post on here ?

I tried tool in #1. I can see that crimping space is higher then in tool in #11. I can buy tool #11 but I don't know if that's going to be better. Honestly, I think wire is too thin to be crimped in but connector, I might have to consider some other joint.
Use uninsulated crimps, solder the wire in and use heat shrink sleeving.
Could have done them all in less time than it takes to post on here ?
I don't know to solder.
I could only twist wires together, and use heat shrink with lighter.
[automerge]1590241197[/automerge]
I don't know to solder.
I could only twist wires together, and use heat shrink with lighter.

What diameter of heat shrink sleeve should I use with there wires that are about 1 mm in diameter ?

Last edited:

Reply to Crimping tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock