JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) CSCS & JIB cards

Discuss CSCS & JIB cards in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

powersellerirl

I am considering doing an electrical course but still have hesitations about after I finish and getting jobs on sites.

I have had a look on the job centre and a few other places but most applications want a JIB or CSCS card.
I am under the impression that I will be unable to get these cards because I havent completed an NVQ.

Has anyone got any advice on how to get one of these cards or how anyone is supposed to obtain one for site work? Can I apply for a labourer's card and still work as an electrician? Do companies care what type of card you have, as long as your have a card?

Many thanks

to try and clarify what evryone gets upset about ;
the ecs card (electrotechnical certification scheme) follows jib guidelines on who is what according to their grades
the ecs card is the cscs card for the electrical industry,although some would argue you dont need it for house bashing
what annoys people is the scheme doesnt allow for time served experience and goes on qualis alone

thanks for your reply..

but what I am confused about is.

I will have
EAL Domestic Electrical Installer VRQ
C&G 2382-10 17th Edition Wiring Regs
C&G 2392-10 Fundamental Inspecting & Testing

which effectively means I have the qualification.

But to apply for a CSCS or JIB card I also need a NVQ 3. Because I dont have this, I am unable to apply for this type.

So what way can I apply for this card and still work onsite?

apply for the ecs card but register as a visitor or labourer(i think)
somebody else can enlighten you on what courses/exams and costs are involved

thanks for your reply..

but what I am confused about is.

I will have
EAL Domestic Electrical Installer VRQ
C&G 2382-10 17th Edition Wiring Regs
C&G 2392-10 Fundamental Inspecting & Testing

which effectively means I have the qualification.

But to apply for a CSCS or JIB card I also need a NVQ 3. Because I dont have this, I am unable to apply for this type.

So what way can I apply for this card and still work onsite?

where are you doing that training then?:rolleyes:

my cscs card expires in feb 09 and theyve just sent me a letter to tell me to book a new test, 6 months early.:confused::confused:
they dont book more than 6 weeks ahead though so told me to wait til nearer the time before trying to book even though they sent me the letter???:confused::confused:
that will be 5 years since i got the card and to date ive had to show it twice.:eek:
not sure if theyre gonna police it more but no choice but to renew it in feb

shakey, i still havent decided about who or what course, because I hearing different stories from everyone and just trying to fully understand things.

This CSCS and JIB thing has totally confused me. Before I do any course I want to make sure I can get one of these cards to allow me to work

if youre doing 17th and various others why not take nvq level 3?? its not hard at all, i know its a pain but some of these places are doing it in a short time?? also im sure when i took my eca/cscs h an s exam they didnt ask to see nvq 3???? i remember they asked what quals i had but that was it..

Powersellerirl, there has been quite a lot of discussion about this topic here:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/general-electrical-discussion/1656-jib-cards-nvq-level-3-joke.html

I personally have never used a JIB card and I don't have an NVQ level 3. I have qualifications including the electrical Design, Erection and Verification of electrical Installations C&G 2400 / C&G 2391-2

So I am able to Design, Install, Inspect & Test and self certifiy an electrical installation but according to JIB they wouldn't reconise me as an electrician. I am also 17th qualified.

Pesonally JIB can stick their £25 piece of worthless plastic where the son don't shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Local colleges offer it. I know they do at Gloscol (Gloucester college) which is my local learning centre. Trouble is it is dear and long-winded.

Apply for a CSCS card as a labourer. Book your exam. Cost you 45 quid. Exam is a joke. Receive it in a week. That'll get you on site. Done.

went to do my card with a load of guys who worked for a big big BIG construction company, exam was such a joke, it was a comp to see who could get 100% in the fasted time! wish i could set up a company saying anyone working in the construction industry has to pay me £45 for a bit of plastic! Well good idea mr blair!

You need to go to your local college. Obviously make sure the college covers engineering or construction or whatever. You can do it in your own time and you will keep getting your progress monitored by whoever runs it in the college. Eventually you will get some site visits in which you will show them you can do certain things such as testing/fault finding etc. Ive heard that it costs upwards of £1000 so its not cheap but you can get it done in a few months. Good luck.

hi all,
dont spose any1 can help me the thing is ive been working as a house basher 4 around 10yrs ive only ever needed my part 1 to do this job, know all of a sudden this jib cards come along does any1 know what gradeing that would give me?
ive also been told about the domestic installers card which im told shud cover me but the information ive had on that so far is very scetchy, does any1 know of this card and what is needed 2 obtain 1?
any help would be much apreciated

the nvq 3 electrical installation is just a city and guilds qualifacation,what makes it an nvq 3 is the course log books you have to do.contact your local college and they will give you more details.once you have the nvq3 the jib will grade you as an electrician.

Reply to CSCS & JIB cards in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock