Discuss Customer completed own repairs after my EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not a question. Just feeling annoyed and venting.

I carried out an EICR on a small domestic property, cleared a few small faults free of charge but gave an Unsatisfactory to Main Earthing and Equipotential Bonding Conductor Sizes.

Gave a low quote to put right.

He now phoned me up to say he has completed the repairs himself.

Annoying - as I will have to go over there are inspect and retest Ze and bond continuity anyway.

He must have opened up the consumer unit as well.

Grrrr!

Any thoughts welcome but I suspect I have to just suck it up (buttercup).

You were there to do the report. Period.

I will have to go over there are inspect and retest Ze and bond continuity anyway.
Fine, there's a charge for that. Larger than it would have been, especially if it is not done properly...

I used to do EICRs for an estate agent. He would always use a different electrician to do the repairs to prevent the inspector making work for himself. (He'd been caught like that before).

Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

By the way re
He must have opened up the consumer unit as well.
What's the problem with him, or anybody, doing that?

I am interested to hear responses on this question.
If I have customer repairs, normally with me doing other repairs, then I tend to write on the certificate that "on visual inspection the light has been moved to a suitable location" or words to that effect.
If the work needs verifying then that is something I cannot do as I do not do third party inspections and testing. Certainly it is chargeable to revisit.

If the work needs verifying then that is something I cannot do as I do not do third party inspections and testing.

Please excuse my ignorance but if you do an EICR and you fix all the 'unsatisfactory' issues then don't you just issue them another EICR?
Therefore if someone does the 'unsatisfactory' work themselves (or another 3rd party) then isn't it just like doing the EICR from the beginning again?

Thanks all.

Cooling down.

I might have to reassess the way I approach EICR’s. I have been of the mindset that if you find it to be ‘Unsatisfactory’, then the best service you can offer the customer is to bring it up to ‘Satisfactory’ and issue the cert.

This is a so called ‘landlords cert.’ - so I take it he needs this before he rent this place out.

Must work - will check in later!

Please excuse my ignorance but if you do an EICR and you fix all the 'unsatisfactory' issues then don't you just issue them another EICR?
Therefore if someone does the 'unsatisfactory' work themselves (or another 3rd party) then isn't it just like doing the EICR from the beginning again?
No. An EICR does not certify work. Remedial work requires EIC or MEIWC. No reason to reissue the EICR.

Thanks all.

Cooling down.

I might have to reassess the way I approach EICR’s. I have been of the mindset that if you find it to be ‘Unsatisfactory’, then the best service you can offer the customer is to bring it up to ‘Satisfactory’ and issue the cert.

This is a so called ‘landlords cert.’ - so I take it he needs this before he rent this place out.

Must work - will check in later!
It shouldn't be reissued as satisfactory. The remedial works should have been certified and then that's job done.

If it's not a new task why would you return to the property? Clearly the BS7671 Competent Person who has completed the remedial work listed in your Report has tested and Certified it for the Owner. (Sarcasm Alert).
Too true, I would tell him to shove it and would not go back, well said.

Hi
Just out of interest, what size were the earthing and bonding cables, and what type of supply was it?

Main earthing was a bit of mess, tiny little fine stranded - aluminium I think? I had it down as copper equivalent equal to 1mm then someone has added an extra 2 of 2.5mm from consumer unit to the MET. I gave it a total of 6mm but wasn’t happy with the way it was split into 3 anyway, or the connections choc blocked in mid-air etc....

Equipotential bonding was also 2.5mm.

So it looks like someone had a roll of 2.5mm - perhaps a landlord looking to rent out a property?!

Come to think of it - I suspect the Consumer Unit is DIY as well....

Reply to Customer completed own repairs after my EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net