Discuss Cut through Main cable to house, Big bill Recieved Advice Greatly Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Supply them with photos and other evidence suggesting they broke their own policy/rules.
Explain that you were not quoted for work and not told that it was chargeable.
No contract therefore no liability end of story.

It's just a little thought, but maybe those "bricks" our OP was breaking up were in fact "protective cable tiles" ???

One man's brick is another man's tile.........

no mate my front garden is all back fill, breeze blocks, bricks, old soakaway etc breaking up from allover for hardcor. deffo not protective tiles. wish I could put the photo on would make it clearer.
hanks

You would have had to sign a wayleave for the cable if you are the property owner. They are non transferable to subsequent owners and a new one has to be drawn up each time there is a change in land ownership. They can be terminated with 12 months notice. An easement is a different matter. They are non terminable and if you want the cable moving you would have to pay.
You can easily get the claim thrown out. All you need to do is show evidence that up to date utility plans were on site, a CAT was used and the cables were located by hand digging to prove their location.
You did follow safe digging practices didn't you ????

Your house was built after the instigation of widely used covenants and conditions. When we were throwing up these things,"Executive or Starter",in every town. They "Exempted" previous,longstanding rights,such as wayleave and right of access,by requiring the new,and therefore subsequent owners,to "agree" to terms and conditions. These,if you can spare the time to read, can cover EVERYTHING. I have read such conditions as,no laundry outside,no trailers,no tents,no dishes,no excavation exceeding 300mm away from boundary,shared access/storage/services/drainage etc etc. It is worth checking this,as the DNO may have knowledge of this on your estate,and if so,you will be liable. As to depth of services,including gas,they generally are what they are,and any representative from the utilities,i have ever dealt with has always said " Yeah mate,they should really be deeper than that..." :icon12:

The long and short of it, is that it is reasonably accepted that a homeowner has the right to use a garden spade and/or fork to tend his garden. 300mm is around the depth of a typical spade or fork. The fact that the electrical company failed to install this cable to a suitable depth without protection or a visual warning tape gives the OP reasonable grounds to dispute any costs incurred to repair said cable.

If anything the burial depth of LV service cables buried within the boundaries of residential properties should be more like 600mm similar to that recommended by the reg's etc.... And they would still need tile cable protection and a visual warning tape throughout the cables routeing!!

Just a thought re burying mains cable. The cable may of been installed by the use of a "mole machine" which is common practice by DNO companies. Therefore no markings, tape, brick tiles etc. I think you will find that a great deal of DNO u/g cables are not marked / identified even if hand dug. Don't forget the DNO's do not come up BS7671 regs.

The long and short of it, is that it is reasonably accepted that a homeowner has the right to use a garden spade and/or fork to tend his garden. 300mm is around the depth of a typical spade or fork. The fact that the electrical company failed to install this cable to a suitable depth without protection or a visual warning tape gives the OP reasonable grounds to dispute any costs incurred to repair said cable.

If anything the burial depth of LV service cables buried within the boundaries of residential properties should be more like 600mm similar to that recommended by the reg's etc.... And they would still need tile cable protection and a visual warning tape throughout the cables routeing!!

DNO at one time was.. 1 phase u/g cable 450mm to top of ducting. 3 Phase cable 600mm to top of ducting. U/G cables in any back gardens which is now frowned upon 1m deep.

DNO at one time was.. 1 phase u/g cable 450mm to top of ducting. 3 Phase cable 600mm to top of ducting. U/G cables in any back gardens which is now frowned upon 1m deep.

Many of the DNO cables laid in residential areas were installed 30/ 40/ 50 years ago long before the now DNO's came to pass. and as you say most were set deeper than the 450mm that is bandied about on the DNO websites. Mole cable and pipe laying is being increasingly used, but as far as i'm aware also come with restrictions and their own set of rules governing their use...

When dealing with the DNO/Utilities,regarding the "incorrect" positioning of cables/pipes,you will be very fortunate to get an admission of liability,on any install older than a few years,unless it is grossly foolish. On older properties,the drive may have been re-instated half a dozen times,which gives them room for discussion,especially when the installers grand children are in nursing homes. I have dealt with circumstances ranging from earth rods piercing drains,PILC cables "looping" underground features,gas companies moleing through drains,and one where for 5 meters,a PILC cable had been poked through an existing section of early 1900's clay land drain.The DNO engineer who visited,on that last one,commented "Those old boys sure were ingenious!" :conehead:

When dealing with the DNO/Utilities,regarding the "incorrect" positioning of cables/pipes,you will be very fortunate to get an admission of liability,on any install older than a few years,unless it is grossly foolish. On older properties,the drive may have been re-instated half a dozen times,which gives them room for discussion,especially when the installers grand children are in nursing homes. I have dealt with circumstances ranging from earth rods piercing drains,PILC cables "looping" underground features,gas companies moleing through drains,and one where for 5 meters,a PILC cable had been poked through an existing section of early 1900's clay land drain.The DNO engineer who visited,on that last one,commented "Those old boys sure were ingenious!" :conehead:

Maybe, but then they won't be coming after you for a cables repair either!! lol!!

Only sent letter today. Will update when they respond. Cheers
They have agreed to drop the charges if I sign a wayleave for the cable. based on what you will actually get per annum on this and it would only be back dated I have snapped their hand off and £1000 of my mind. thanks again to all for the cracking advice.

Reply to Cut through Main cable to house, Big bill Recieved Advice Greatly Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net