Search the forum,

Discuss Daisy chaining extension cables? Current leaking to earth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

linuxthefish

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I only have one socket to work with and adding others is not an option. Can I safely use an 1 socket 10 meter extension lead, with a 8 socket extension on the end? On the 8 socket extension i have a 6 socket extension lead (with another 1 socket extension) and and a 4 socket extension load. How many extension leads can I add before the 30mA RCD trips? Overloading should not be a problem, I have a 10A fuse in the 8 socket extension.

WALL SOCKET > 10 meter 1 socket extension lead > 8 socket extension > 4 socket extension + 6 socket extension cable (with 1 socket extension attached).

All that's plugged in is IT stuff, few laptops, audio amplifier, projector, fan, 2 40w lights, 3 monitors and a toaster sometimes.

If this is for real and you have no other methods I suggest you look into, say a single 12 way adapter and get someone to put a longer flex on it for you, that way you only have one.

And don't plug a toaster into it with everything else on!

tbh, I had to read that a few times to make sense of it, but it really is a far from ideal setup. I appreciate there may only be 1 socket, but why no at least have it changed for a double? The setup you propose is a huge fire risk, and as mentioned by Biff, the fire hazard is well documented.

This is an electricians' forum so I will give you an electrician's answer:
Instead of running extension leads everywhere you should have the circuit altered to provide adequate sockets on the final circuit.
Never mind 'would it work?', 'is it legal' or 'can I do it?', having enough permanent sockets is the way to go.

... That's if it was even a serious question to begin with - a load of IT gear... and a toaster sometimes!?

Could be a windup!
Maybe he's found a socket thats fed from next door

Nope...

If this is for real and you have no other methods I suggest you look into, say a single 12 way adapter and get someone to put a longer flex on it for you, that way you only have one.

And don't plug a toaster into it with everything else on!

The largest I can find is a 10 way, and even that's expensive.

Why are you asking about the RCD tripping anyway?

"Interruption of Service" fines...

Get a power distribution unit and do not use the toaster!

Power Distribution Unit? I thought they were just bigger and more expensive extension cables...

Power Distribution Unit? I thought they were just bigger and more expensive extension cables...
Power distribution units can come with more socket outlets and are designed (to some extent) for the job you describe (supplying multiple items of low draw IT equipment), they are more robust than multi gang extensions and would avoid the requirement for lots of plug and socket connections which increase the chance of high resistance problems and failures.

However the best idea is to wire it properly.

The twin and earth cable in the plug top is not designed for plug tops and trailing over floors, flex would be much more appropriate.
Coils of cable drawing current through them as in picture 2 are bonfires waiting to happen. Magnetic effects cause overheating and dramatically reduce the current carrying capacity of the cable.

You cannot accurately measure current leakage with a multimeter, you need an earth leakage meter.

What is the RCD you are conscious of tripping ? what does it serve ? what problems arise upon it tripping ?

Oh and you definitely need some more sockets fitting lol.

two things if say looking at those pics.
1) unwind all the cables instead of coiling them up like that.
2) not quite sure what's plugged into the 3rd socket on 4th pic, but looks like nothing is attached. I'd switch anything off that's not in use. each one is switched, so may as well take advantage of that

This is the problem with the part P rubbish it leads to more and more of these lash ups as its all easy to do and no need to register with anyone, suppose you could run these all over your house with a 13amp fuse protecting everything, maybe run 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs off the 1 ring and the same off the other ring (if you have 2 rings) you could have all the sockets you want lol

I would love to have more sockets, though it's rented accommodation and they don't see the point in extra sockets. One double socket in each room in a awkward location.

Also the CU is padlocked, and they charge to come out and reset things...

I would love to have more sockets, though it's rented accommodation and they don't see the point in extra sockets. One double socket in each room in a awkward location.

wtf? for real?! so if an mcb trips at 2am, you have to call someone to come out and reset it for you and charge you for it? who exactly would come out anyway. landlord/lady, sparky?

That's totally unreasonable!

If you say where you are, someone on here may be able to call round and do some earth leakage measurements (for a modest fee). You can't (safely) do this with a multimeter, you need a sensitive earth leakage clamp ammeter round the relevant supply conductors or CPC.

The pictures look wrong and this all sounds wrong ask the land lord for the last EICR Or PIR and unplug those extension leads before the place burns down !!!!

Do you have access to a main switch to isolate in the event of an emergency ?

If the DNO fuse counts, then yes.

I get the impression the OP doesn't want to listen so I'm unsure why he asked in the first place TBH.

I'm more concerned about having the RCD trip or whatever, than overloading the 10A fuse in the socket. The cable near the plug has been shortened for anyone who is concerned, so it's not looped anymore :D

The RCD will trip if there is high earth leakage but if you are not concerned about over load then I am concerned ! Overload causes fire !! every time you add an extra extension lead the resistance is getting higher due to the connection between plugs and sockets and the length of cable Resistance means more heat more heat means fire !!!

Resu

and many other unansweable questions like

why would someone blow them selves up on a bus.

because there are a rich tapestry of people in the world? (My diplomatic answer)

The RCD will trip if there is high earth leakage but if you are not concerned about over load then I am concerned ! Overload causes fire !! every time you add an extra extension lead the resistance is getting higher due to the connection between plugs and sockets and the length of cable Resistance means more heat more heat means fire !!!

Sorry I may be having a blond moment but assuming the lead that is plugged into the supply socket is fused appropriately for all cables in the daisy chain (eg 13A rated all of them) then how can there be an overload risk? (I am assuming all unwound fully)
To me the issues are:
Disconnection times under fault (increased Zs value)
Volt drop
A serious effing trip hazard lol

Reply to Daisy chaining extension cables? Current leaking to earth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net