Discuss decent drill in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi well I'm just starting out as a electricians mate so new to te trade so I think a cordless as a sds I wouldn't make use off till I am much experienced. So for nw a corded and cordless combi?

Silverline 574483 560w SDS Plus Hammer Drill 560w

Not being funny all the apprentices I ever had, once they were coming out of their time I always use to take them round to the sheds and pick up the cheapest drill we could find on offer, often the sheds own brand.

Now with internet you can do it easier. The above is 40 quid looks half decent, when your starting out money is tight so if you get a year out it under decent use it will be worth it

To get you going a cheap 18v makita or dewalt. Screwfix always have an offer on for 18v. Think it's dewalt 18v li-ion for £130 this month. Surprisingly good wee drill too, and batteries charged in 30min.

I was thinking the same too but people say try and get this make that make and the other so it's confusing. Even Aldi have a drill 14.4 volts for £20

For many years I bought the cheap brands and they did a reasonable job and I was happy. Eventually I was persuaded to buy a Festool saw and it opened my eyes to what I had been missing. While I will still buy some of the cheaper tools that I do not use every day I have been converted to buy the best you can afford school of thought. I use an 18V Li-Ion Makita drill (with hammer) it drills most of the holes I need. I have a SDS Makita 110V for the ones it won't. Have a look on the tool forum for what people think about the various brands. Buying the Aldi drill may be a good short term option to give you an idea of what is important to you so you can buy better in the future. It can also act as a 2nd drill in the future when you get something better.

I use one of these:

decent drill bhp451rfe - EletriciansForums.net

It's an absolute beast and will keep you going for years! It's bombproof too! I dropped mine out of a loft hatch and watched it bounce off the landing and down a further flight of stairs, I was almost crying but when I picked it back up, there wasn't a scratch on it and it worked fine, that was over a year ago now and it's still going strong as if it was brand new.

It's also got three gears which really helps with those chunky auger bits through joists, you have to be careful though because this thing is so powerful it will happily snap your wrist like a twig if you don't know what you're doing! I know that doesn't sound much like a selling point but it's just an example of how powerful this thing is!

Check out all the details here: http://www.power-tools-pro.co.uk/makita-bhp451rfe-18v-hammer-drill

Your right all of you thank you. Think I'll get the Aldi one first to build up some confidence. I hate the way the college course teaches u this. We worked on a plank of wood and did our ring mains and circuits on that. The outside world is nothing like a 10 by 10 plank. I was asked to change a switch and when I removed the switch the wires were the old Indian rubber ones and all the cement and cage was falling apart. They didn't bloody teach me this in Coll or my fantastic city and guilds level 3. It was a major knock to my confidence. What these courses need it people who actually work in trade to teach that way an accurate set of syllabus can be taught to the youngsters. If any of u need a helping hand ( make a cup of tea ) tool collection and of course 1st and 2nd fixes please consider me. I'm in Birmingham working a boring ****ty computer job and want to actually get out there and get my hands messy and come home feeling I have for a hard days work.

I can remember many years back dropping my brand new top of the range Stanley tape measure down a cavity, before I even had chance to use it
From then on,I decided it was less costly to me to drop a 20 pence one down the cavity

I bought a Bosch drill. at the time it was over 300 bucks,I ended up drilling through a concrete stairwell every day
After a while it gave up the ghost
I then bought a £30 black and decker specifically for that job,with the attitude that I can burn 10 of those out for one Bosch
They did the job proud,all 2 of them

Having the top range bestest,poshest and mostly, costliest tools in the land, doesn't guarentee economical use
Think low and often :yes:

Through the years i've found Tools preference to be a personal thing in truth.

Start off with cheap stuff until you can work your way to more expensive tools your comfortable working with IMO.

Once you've found a Drill/Tool your comfortable with alls good.....always good to try out different brands from time to time though as there's always something better/more comfortable to handle out there.

Used to be a Dwalt Drone...everything cordless was Dwalt until the quality dived afew years back and now got a mixture of tools.

I'v still got a 'cheap as' (£69.99) Makita 14.4v that has been used daily for the last 4 years and it still as good as when I bought it. It copes with drilling upto 25mm holesaws and is great if your working with any sort of containment systems. When it eventually does die I persoanlly won't hesitate to order another.

As I'm self employed and there are no sheds nearby I always buy decent stuff.
If you factor in the cost of a cheap and cheerful drill packing in on you midway through a job they can pretty soon become a false economy.

I still have a dewalt 18v combi I bought 5 years ago apart from new batteries it's been flawless.

I should add that I always bought budget tools until I figured out which ones I used enough to justify shelling out for quality

Last edited:
Despite many years of sparkying, I only started house bashing a few ago. Then, I did my first rewire with what I had at the time - no cordless, a Black and Decker diy level circular saw and a lump hammer and cold chisel. That rewire still happened and was as quality job as what I was doing this morning with three different flavours of drills+sds, impact driver....etc. The only major differences between then and now is my own speed/ease/laziness of working and a hole in my pocket.

All that glitters is not gold!!

Reply to decent drill in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock