Discuss Discount Aico smoke alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In Scotland, with the new regs coming in, Aico rf linked non-hard wired are very popular, and that's all I fit now. Website prices are all over the place, and clearly some are not rf models. The rf ones were about £130 but now about £80, so a good bit cheaper than previously.
For a 2 or 3 bed property, £250 is fine, and about 30 minutes to fit.
I get mine from Safelincs, who have always been good on customer service in my experience...however, although they list some as ok for the new Scottish regs, they also say (on another tab on their website) you can't use for flats, which is incorrect. May be the case for England, but here they are ok.
Customers love the 10 year sealed lithium ion batteries with radio linked modules.
I love them too!
In and out, job done...what's not to like?

Just a shame their CO multi function alarms are only available with hard wired power connections, but at least you can get them for about £40.00 if you shop around: 1x AICO Ei3028 Mains Powered Multi-Sensor Heat & Carbon Monoxide Alarm 5099383006544 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185205573277?

As with the whole Ei3xxx range, you can add Ei3000MRF module for wireless interconnection. Other than for convenience when retrofitting, I much prefer the idea of wired interconnection.

As with the whole Ei3xxx range, you can add Ei3000MRF module for wireless interconnection. Other than for convenience when retrofitting, I much prefer the idea of wired interconnection.
No doubt mains+ rechargeable with wired interconnect gives added reliability over battery wireless

I can see why the local authorities here (ROI)are now insisting on fire panels for apartments . The problem isn't the alarms it's making them idiot proof for tenants

Mains + PP3 would do just fine for me

No doubt mains+ rechargeable with wired interconnect gives added reliability over battery wireless
Not appreciated by me at first, but the Mains powered units have a totally different battery in them for back up, this battery will only power the unit for approx 3/4months, however the 10 year battery life guarantee is dependent on the mains being connected.

The battery powered units have a battery guaranteed to last ten years without re-charging/mains, hence they are more expensive than what I consider to be the better units in the 3000 series.

Bit of a conundrum, fit battery powered units in a few minutes. or mains powered units that need a cable running to them and could take hours. 😱

Last edited:
Not appreciated by me at first, but the Mains powered units have a totally different battery in them for back up, this battery will only power the unit for approx 3/4months, however the 10 year battery life guarantee is dependent on the mains being connected.

The battery powered units have a battery guaranteed to last ten years without re-charging/mains, hence they are more expensive than what I consider to be the better units in the 3000 series.

Bit of a conundrum, fit batter powered units in a few minutes. or mains powered units that need a cable running to them and could take hours. 😱

To my mind the main difference is potential for failure. The likelihood of battery back up being required for 3-4 months in a mains powered unit is slim. Battery back up is only ever utilised in cases of power failure (short term) or a tripped circuit breaker, which would only be a long term issue if detectors are on their own circuit (another good case for powering from lighting).

Dedicated battery units, while most likely very good, are reliant upon a lithium chemistry cell. While these batteries are generally of high quality, I'd contend the likelihood of premature battery failure is far more realistic than permanent loss of power in the home.

Everyone has their own opinion and reason for fitting particular units, but I'd far prefer mains powered Aicos where feasible.

Thinking about this a bit laterally, if you where an unscrupulous installer (we all know these exist) you could fit the mains powered units at the cheaper cost without running mains to then and when you get the call back because they have indicated the battery is flat during/after the 3/4 month period, you could then say to the customer "I now have extra work to do and it will cost........" 😱 nobody on here would dream of doing that now would we. 😇

Thinking about this a bit laterally, if you where an unscrupulous installer (we all know these exist) you could fit the mains powered units at the cheaper cost without running mains to then and when you get the call back because they have indicated the battery is flat during/after the 3/4 month period, you could then say to the customer "I now have extra work to do and it will cost........" 😱 nobody on here would dream of doing that now would we. 😇

Except anyone with a lick of sense would expect a call back after 3-4 months to be covered under warranty.

Except that if they where unscrupulous they would only give a months warranty and probably work without insurance and capable of disappearing without trace.

Except that if they where unscrupulous they would only give a months warranty and probably work without insurance and capable of disappearing without trace.

Opportunites to defraud exist in every aspect of life and I doubt the installation of smoke detectors will be exempted by the minority of fundamentally dishonest people who partake in such activity.

Opportunites to defraud exist in every aspect of life and I doubt the installation of smoke detectors will be exempted by the minority of fundamentally dishonest people who partake in such activity.
Reminds me of another TikTok video I saw earlier, from someone well discussed on this forum, that he would introduce a fault in a house to get more work when he wasn’t too busy….

A few smilies here and there would suggest he wasn’t serious, but without them, it makes the general public suspicious of our respectable trade.

That's why discussions like this ought to be in the Arms, but I was removed and not allowed to access anymore, still on the naughty step.

That's why discussions like this ought to be in the Arms, but I was removed and not allowed to access anymore, still on the naughty step.

I don't think it's any great secret that a small percentage of unscrupulous people exist within every trade and I should hope this forum gives the clear impression that no quarter is given to anyone disposed of such practices.

Reply to Discount Aico smoke alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net