Discuss Diversity calls check please........ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
15.2kw range cooker has already been installed and a 10mm t&e run back to the Cu via this switch,(havnt seen cable route yet but I’m told on the phone it’s all in trunking and doesn’t pass through any insulation but will check this)apparently the previous spark that won’t connect it to the Cu said it need a 66A isolator!
He also left em an rcd to connect it to at the board even though it’s a split board,anyway I havnt been to the job yet but just wanted to check my diversity figures
I make it 26.8a without a socket included with the new isolator I’ll be installing,as always any and all advice is always greatly appreciated Diversity calls check please........ 5F4F5A6B-CE54-423C-B6F9-D4970233C13D - EletriciansForums.net Diversity calls check please........ B89A298E-6F8C-4269-8F3A-AFDCF2859147 - EletriciansForums.net Diversity calls check please........ FE218CEC-710F-4917-857C-F69BE3E7AF9D - EletriciansForums.netDiversity calls check please........ F2916065-3AB0-4943-8280-FD36C1C25924 - EletriciansForums.net

Diversity calls check please........ 259CA709-05BC-4834-BA08-4025754B929B - EletriciansForums.net

Whats with the joining of them cpc's above the consumer unit? could he not afford a quid or two for an earth terminal block and do it properly? better still use the earth terminal in the actual CU?

Still at least he used fire rated glands on top, must have been left over in his installers kit from the trade show.

EDIT
on closer look it appears as if he has terminated the cpcs out of the consumer unit and by assumption means the line and neutral only go in to it? you can see the outer insulation stopping before the red glands with the inner cables exposed out of the unit.
Some labels would have helped too.
He could have used a screwdriver to pop them mcbs in line to, they would sit better, i do hate when BG boards do that. they are renowned for it.

Why have you included a picture of a rotary isolator? What role is that going to play? Please tell me it is instead of a 45A cooker isolator

Why have you included a picture of a rotary isolator? What role is that going to play? Please tell me it is instead of a 45A cooker isolator
That’s the pics that I’ve been sent over,far as I can workout that’s what he has used as the cooker isolator switch...

I love all the exposed single insulation going into the red glands, and the circuit labels are fantastic. I can't wait to see inside the CU!!!

I'd be more worried about the safety of the wiring than connecting a cooker to it..

What is that disconnected green wire?

Edit, I think the CPCs in the rotary isolator have been connected under the clamp screw rather than in the clamp where they should be.

That’s the pics that I’ve been sent over,far as I can workout that’s what he has used as the cooker isolator switch...
well if you are installing a new circuit in that CU you will need to sort out that mess on top of cables not being terminated properly on entry to the CU, with luck you can reuse them red glands and just get some t&e rubber inserts to go inside them. you cant tick the boxes on the Electrical Installation Certificate if you dont, given how poor it looks you might need to quote to put right other things you find inside! I would be wary of putting my name to the certificate with those things wrong. especially since you need to notify it aswell.

I love all the exposed single insulation going into the red glands, and the circuit labels are fantastic. I can't wait to see inside the CU!!!

I'd be more worried about the safety of the wiring than connecting a cooker to it..

What is that disconnected green wire?
No idea freddo, I had spotted the green wire, I havnt been there yet but after the conversation on the phone I asked the fella to send some pics of the cooker specs and what had been installed so far, I’ll be honest I’m a bit concerned after the picture of that Cu!

well if you are installing a new circuit in that CU you will need to sort out that mess on top of cables not being terminated properly on entry to the CU, with luck you can reuse them red glands and just get some t&e rubber inserts to go inside them. you cant tick the boxes on the Electrical Installation Certificate if you dont, given how poor it looks you might need to quote to put right other things you find inside! I would be wary of putting my name to the certificate with those things wrong. especially since you need to notify it aswell.
Thanks Gavin,yes I am going to ring him tomorrow as I’m not happy just adding a new circuit to that pile of crap to quote you ha ha thanks agian,

thanks Midwest,much appreciated, I think that got lost somewhere what with the state of the rest of it,ha ha

Quick update and opinions if I can, have informed the customer that his existing install is a disgrace (was a bit more diplomatic than that) and as stands I’m not willing to add another circuit to it.
So am now considering putting the cooker on its own small board after adding a Henly block and new tails,(think it a safe assumption that the fairy has already been) with 100a main switch and 40a rcbo, will also change the rotary isolator for the correct one,and then make a note about the existing install in the new certification, am after opinions and advice as to wether that would be acceptable before I commit?

Not withstanding people making a business, it would depend on the condition of the existing install, as to whether I would commit to your sensible suggestion. If its really really bad, only you can judge that, I would decline the work IMO. Also reg 132.16 should be considered.

Reply to Diversity calls check please........ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock