Discuss DIY Extension lead in hose pipe for external power to shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for advice, based in the UK.

I have a 30m long garden with shed at bottom that I want to run an extension lead to on a permanent basis. Use is for power tools (drill, jigsaw) plus lamp in the winter so neither constant nor heavy usage.

Currently I run a single 40m reel extension lead down to the shed when I need power. Plugs in at a new (2 year old) weatherproof socket. Fine but a bit tedious to do over 30m garden each time.

Burying an armoured cable isnt possible as the shed is on paving which covers a good 10m of the garden length.

My thought was to thread the cable through a new garden hosepipe, run the hose on the surface alongside the fence/hedge. The plug end would be protected in the weatherproof socket and the reel end would live in the shed (pass cable and hose through wood shed wall). Keep it on the surface at all times to be visible.

Is this safe? Thanks

TL;DR
Can I thread an extension lead through hose pipe and use it as a permanent power supply for a shed.
It is far from ideal.

Over time the pipe will become full of water and the cable inside is not going to like being being in a constant wet environment.
Over time the wire will become damaged due to the pipe and wire expanding and contracting at different rates as the temperature rises and falls.
Freezing and thawing over winter will also damage it.

Not to mention pulling pvc cable down a pvc hosepipe for 40m will be a pain in the back side!

Why not use something that is designed for outdoor use?
Like swa or hituff cable?

It is far from ideal.

Over time the pipe will become full of water and the cable inside is not going to like being being in a constant wet environment.
Over time the wire will become damaged due to the pipe and wire expanding and contracting at different rates as the temperature rises and falls.
Freezing and thawing over winter will also damage it.

Not to mention pulling pvc cable down a pvc hosepipe for 40m will be a pain in the back side!

Why not use something that is designed for outdoor use?
Like swa or hituff cable?

Thanks James, this is exactly why I wanted to ask, I wasnt sure if extension lead would survive. I've looked into swa cable and that looks like the way to go. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: DPG
I would strongly recommend that you involve a local electrician to ensure it is the right size of cable and terminated correctly.

It is not as easy as it looks.
Also, circuit protection and rcd needs to be confirmed as ok for the intended use.

I would strongly recommend that you involve a local electrician to ensure it is the right size of cable and terminated correctly.

It is not as easy as it looks.
Also, circuit protection and rcd needs to be confirmed as ok for the intended use.

Noted, thanks, I will leave it until we need some other work done in that case. Inconvenience is a small price to pay. Thanks again

Reply to DIY Extension lead in hose pipe for external power to shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock