Discuss DIY Pump motor repair in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jeffrey

DIY
Reaction score
On this pump motor the yellow wire (next to the 3) broke off. I am unfamiliar with the connection. Do I need a special tool to reattach this (after I strip the wire)DIY Pump motor repair IMG_20190923_090405770 - EletriciansForums.net

On this pump motor the yellow wire (next to the 3) broke off. I am unfamiliar with the connection. Do I need a special tool to reattach this (after I strip the wire)View attachment 52560
@Jeffery obviously it is broke but it didn’t look like it but I don’t know where it’s broke do you have a soldering iron and some solder ?

@Jeffery obviously it is broke but it didn’t look like it but I don’t know where it’s broke do you have a soldering iron and some solder ?
Megawatt, yeah it broke just below the contact. I was wondering if someone here was familiar with the type of connection. I haven't had need for a soldering iron but if that's what is required I guess I can try. If you zoom in on the connection it looks like there's some teeth that could pull apart. I didn't want to try this with a needle nose and risk breaking the connection point.

it looks like they were originally crimped into the terminals,
Sometimes if your carefull you can gently pry the terminals apart and re-use,
but it is very fiddly work and you are DIY so it will be difficult
Soldering is another option, but if you have not sodered before
Then you will likely end up with a mess.
Get someone who can solder to do it.

It was a factory crimped connection on the Klixon and you're probably going to cause collateral damage if you try to pry it open and resqueeze it. As mentioned above your best bet is probably solder. If you've got no soldering experience take it to a friend who has, it won't be particularly easy to get a good solder joint because the contact on the klixon will sink a lot of heat compared to the wire you're soldering to it which makes things a bit trickier.

Looking at terminals 1 & 2 especially, it seems like the cable end was ferruled and then spot-welded to the Klixon tag. Curiously terminal 3 looks different, but the remedy as mentioned above is probably to solder it. Take care not to cook the tag in the process!

Sorry, OP, an alligator clip is not a safe, permanent solution. It could so easily cause a ground fault that it doesn't bear looking at. Please consider reworking with a soldered connection.

Reply to DIY Pump motor repair in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock