Discuss DIYer Newbie - adding additional sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

alljohn

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, Newbie here so please excuse any stupid questions. There is a single 2.5 T&E running from a dedicated connection on my "old type" fuse box (photo available if needed) in the garage to a single 2 gang 3 pin socket (approx 3 metres away) - there is no return cable. I'm wanting to add extra sockets - what options do I have?
Many thanks.

Hi, Newbie here so please excuse any stupid questions. There is a single 2.5 T&E running from a dedicated connection on my "old type" fuse box (photo available if needed) in the garage to a single 2 gang 3 pin socket (approx 3 metres away) - there is no return cable. I'm wanting to add extra sockets - what options do I have?
Many thanks.
As long as it's a Radial circuit make it a 20 Radial and add some more sockets from the existing , but pictures will help.
[automerge]1598282044[/automerge]
As long as it's a Radial circuit make it a 20 Radial and add some more sockets from the existing , but pictures will help.
Caveat to my last where is the feed to the Garage CU fed from, please don't tell me it's from the RFC in the house!!

Last edited:
Hi, looking at the photo the white cable coming out of the top of the fuse box goes to the socket - it is protected by the fuse shown uncovered. The rest of the house is protected by the fuses in the main block.

Unless there is something out of shot your consumer unit does not have additional rcd protection. If that is the case the answer from your current set-up is no.

Ok, if your going to be adding sockets on that circuit, assuming there is no upfront 30mA RCD then they will require additional protection. Probably best getting an electrician in.
If it was a more modern board with the correct protection and we could see the over current protection rating I’d probably tell you to crack on, but that needs someone to cast a proper eye over it.
[automerge]1598284875[/automerge]
Unless there is something out of shot your consumer unit does not have additional rcd protection. If that is the case the answer from your current set-up is no.
Beat me to it

That 45A fuse is overrated for the installed cable, assuming that is the correct fuse. It would appear the set-up does not incorporate additional 30ma rcd protection, as it stands no you cannot install additional socket outlets. I would recommend you seek the services of an electrician.

Pull that fuse out now!
Your 2.5 is only rated at 24A.
Thanks for the heads-up ~ what would you suggest replacing it with?
[automerge]1598287795[/automerge]
That 45A fuse is overrated for the installed cable, assuming that is the correct fuse. It would appear the set-up does not incorporate additional 30ma rcd protection, as it stands no you cannot install additional socket outlets. I would recommend you seek the services of an electrician.
Many thanks for the advice.

You’ve looked at the right hand fuse. That is usually a 45A fuse, so ignore the above.
show us a photo of under the left hand fuse cover. It will be one of these that controls the garage circuit. Tell us which of the fuses it is.
[automerge]1598288374[/automerge]

agreed on the RCD, but he’s not told us about the correct fuse. !

Last edited:
Why? It’s only feeding a twin socket so maximum it’s going to pull is 26A. Clipped direct it’s rated at 27A
Fuses aren't just for overload protection, though....and who knows the state of the cable and socket.

Reply to DIYer Newbie - adding additional sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock