Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss DIYer Newbie - adding additional sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alljohn

DIY
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, Newbie here so please excuse any stupid questions. There is a single 2.5 T&E running from a dedicated connection on my "old type" fuse box (photo available if needed) in the garage to a single 2 gang 3 pin socket (approx 3 metres away) - there is no return cable. I'm wanting to add extra sockets - what options do I have?
Many thanks.

Aico 3000
CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Pete999

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Hi, Newbie here so please excuse any stupid questions. There is a single 2.5 T&E running from a dedicated connection on my "old type" fuse box (photo available if needed) in the garage to a single 2 gang 3 pin socket (approx 3 metres away) - there is no return cable. I'm wanting to add extra sockets - what options do I have?
Many thanks.
As long as it's a Radial circuit make it a 20 Radial and add some more sockets from the existing , but pictures will help.
Post automatically merged:

As long as it's a Radial circuit make it a 20 Radial and add some more sockets from the existing , but pictures will help.
Caveat to my last where is the feed to the Garage CU fed from, please don't tell me it's from the RFC in the house!!

Last edited:
A

alljohn

DIY
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry for the delay as I couldn't upload the photo (too big at 0.99mb) however it can be found at:

How do I tell if it's a Radial circuit and how to tell if it's Radial20?

Thanks

A

alljohn

DIY
Hi, looking at the photo the white cable coming out of the top of the fuse box goes to the socket - it is protected by the fuse shown uncovered. The rest of the house is protected by the fuses in the main block.

westward10

westward10

Mod
Unless there is something out of shot your consumer unit does not have additional rcd protection. If that is the case the answer from your current set-up is no.

C

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Ok, if your going to be adding sockets on that circuit, assuming there is no upfront 30mA RCD then they will require additional protection. Probably best getting an electrician in.
If it was a more modern board with the correct protection and we could see the over current protection rating I’d probably tell you to crack on, but that needs someone to cast a proper eye over it.
Post automatically merged:

Unless there is something out of shot your consumer unit does not have additional rcd protection. If that is the case the answer from your current set-up is no.
Beat me to it

Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

-
Esteemed
Arms
And need to know what size fuse is protecting the circuit to the garage. My X-ray spex cannot see through the fuse cover!

A

alljohn

DIY

Reply to DIYer Newbie - adding additional sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom