Discuss Spur off a 4mm twin and earth, 32amp radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

never agreed with thatpete. it may have been relevant when a house had only 1 RFC (ncluding kitchen) but these days it's rare to see a non-kitchen RFC loaded to >5A or 6A. we had a 2.2kW hot tub , 2.2kW sauna, 3 freezers, washer, fumble dryer, all on a 16A radial (garage). cable used to get slightly warm. made ito a RFC (when sauna was added) to a 32A RFC just to be safe.
Firstly why is a guy who is 80 still working? secondly Tel nice to see you are still alive ?

Laundry from holiday cottages. American sized washing machine and tumble drier.
even though, eack kWH will dry to a set level. 5kW will just be quicker then a 3 kW unit. energy in = energy out, and all that.

Firstly why is a guy who is 80 still working? secondly Tel nice to see you are still alive ?
am only taking on small, non-mauling jobs now. legs are knackered and lungs are dicey. be 75 in a week. another few years before son needs to find somewhere for my tools. he's already scrounged the 1553 i bought off you 7 years ago. crikey, time flies when you're a coffin dodger.

75?

You’ll be looking forward to a life of diddy little diy jobs, watching YouTube videos of tractors, engines and other machinery just moving…. Not actually doing anything and drinking copious amounts of coffee…

That’s what my 75 year old dad does

75?

You’ll be looking forward to a life of diddy little diy jobs, watching YouTube videos of tractors, engines and other machinery just moving…. Not actually doing anything and drinking copious amounts of coffee…

That’s what my 75 year old dad does

Sounds OK to me that! Swap coffee for beer though.

even though, eack kWH will dry to a set level. 5kW will just be quicker then a 3 kW unit. energy in = energy out, and all that.
MUCH quicker than a UK domestic drier. It uses moisture sensors and 'fuzzy logic' to keep the electricity consumption to a minimum for a non heat pump drier, but I still see £ signs in front of my eyes when I watch that meter light flashing.

That little red light can be a handy tool when you repair a heater or immersion heater for example. Just compare the flash rate between off and on and you know straight away that it's drawing current and ok - or not. ?

Thank you all for (A) putting me straight on a couple of points, and (B) providing the answers I was looking for.

To clarify a couple of points - yes the circuit is, and will continue to be RCD protected and I will extend onto the end of the radial, rather than cutting in between the existing sockets (not sure if that would change anything.)

I will also change the circuit MCB to a 32 amp to cope with the heaters.

Thanks again.
And then you will use a multifunction tester and do a r1 r2 test, a Zs test, a RCD trip time test and complete a Minor works cert,,,,Wont you

IT is a

There is a recommendation that loads of 2Kw and above need to be on their own dedicated circuit, not fed via a 13 A spur
Normally hard wired, yes, but it says heater has a 13 amp plug top, Which is man fact fitted, i dont agree that a 2.5 or 3kw heater especially outside should be on a plug top, as we all know , seperate supply For these they could be on for hours.

Reply to Spur off a 4mm twin and earth, 32amp radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net