Discuss DNO and pulling this main fuse. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

wot you supposed to do eh?...work on energised tails?....if that bullit warrents pulling...then pull it...just be sure to verify it wont fall apart in your hands though first wont you...

One of my customers took it upon himself to arrange it all when I said I was going to pull the fuse.It all went without a hitch,the EDF engineer arrived on the appointed day and pulled the fuse in the morning and even phoned up to see how I was doing at mid day.He even came back earlier when I was finished and stuck the fuse back in.He was a good bloke and very helpful but I guess this is a bit of an exception.He did take a picture of it all when he had sealed it up again.

whats this big deal anyway about bullin bullits for?....if you NEED to pull it...then pull it..(the bullit that is)...

"He did take a picture of it all when he had sealed it up again. " more and more people taking photos to prove their work in the paper trail even guy fitting out dishwasher came and took pictures of where it was going and after it was fitted

This is an area which needs sorting out. Everyone knows that seal-breaking goes on unofficially, yet technically it is breaking the law.
Personally, I get the supplier to fit an isolator when I have a CU change to do (some free, some charge), but it drives me mad that this stupidity is still going on....
A meter fitter with a few weeks training can pull the fuse, yet a qualified electrician cannot because it's dangerous! We need all suppliers to do what SSE do, and issue temp seals to allow safe working while arranging to have the fuse "officially resealed" at a later date when the sparky has finished.

Yes agree with that one! Sparky's should be able to ring up and just confirm they are going to pull the fuse then once job has been completed get the test and re seal that would make sense to me.

follow the correct procedure Hutch, and have an isolator installed or install the isolator so the dno can pull the fuse and then reconnect to it. No matter how easy it is to pull the fuse, it can result in potentially lethal sitiuation if the fuse carrier breaks ect, its illegal to remove the seals and no matter what scheme your in it is frowned upon and bad practice. if the jobs worth doing then do it properly and follow procedure. its not about competence or beeing a man its just wrong to pull the main fuse unless you have to in case of an emergency.

Agree with that, will do its just starts to get a bit of a headache when you just want to get job started and keep to some kind of schedule but yes Top Advice.

This is an area which needs sorting out. Everyone knows that seal-breaking goes on unofficially, yet technically it is breaking the law.
Personally, I get the supplier to fit an isolator when I have a CU change to do (some free, some charge), but it drives me mad that this stupidity is still going on....
A meter fitter with a few weeks training can pull the fuse, yet a qualified electrician cannot because it's dangerous! We need all suppliers to do what SSE do, and issue temp seals to allow safe working while arranging to have the fuse "officially resealed" at a later date when the sparky has finished.

agree with what your saying re some decision being made to legally allow competent tradesman to break seals for remedial work or alterations, current situation re fitting false seals when a fuse has been pulled makes no sense and does not fool anyone. currently dno safe isloation is the only legal and safe option as you may have pulled 100 fuses or even a 1000 fuses in the past and everything has been ok all it takes is one to go ---- up and the **** hits the fan and you have no comeback, no insurance. so until the rules change ill get that isolator fitted and have the dno pull the fuse.

I have yet to see a seal on a DNO fuse, however I have turned up at a few jobs where the fuse has been pulled already and has clearly been that way for a while.
So perhaps a public forum is not the best place to encourage this practice.

I have no quarms about pulling a fuse however I much prefer an isolator to be fitted. I believe it's easier and safer for future maintenance and upgrades as you can isolate the supply without running the risk of pulling a damaged carrier.

The few CU changes I have done on agency work have been a mixed batch of pull it, already out or an isolator fitted, down to the employer on each job to battle it out with the DNO, I'm just the monkey with a screwdriver to them.

If I do pull it I have to be 100% confident that there's no damage or risk of damage, especially on the older ones, I have refused on more than one occasion and probably will do so again in the future.

And to add, the purpose of a seal is to turn fish into pooh and perform tricks with balls!!!

Reply to DNO and pulling this main fuse. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock