Discuss DNO Issue !!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could someone explain how using a 3 wire tester would give a different result for Ze. I have a 3 wire tester but only use 3 wires when I don't want to trip the RCD, if I'm measuring Ze I just use 2 wires.

It is possible to get different readings by changing from a 2 wire to a 3 wire test on Ze or Zs.

Example from a real fault, (Megger 1552)
Tested a socket for Zs with plug, got a reading of 2.8ohm, tested another socket, 2.7ohm, maybe a broken ring or something? But continuity and readings OK on ring.

Go to another ring, high readings there as well.

Maybe Ze is high, so I did a two wire 20A bond test at the board, got a reading of .2ohm ish.

Strange I thought, get 2 wire Megger 345 no trip out, and do Z tests across the board all low readings?

Turn board off, do ohm test across MCB's check other circuits all OK?

Test across Neutral contact of double pole RCD and get 2 ohms ish FFS

Three wire testing uses the neutral as well.

Also on Hager RCDs and MCBs, always test for contact resistance they they burn easy, I have had around 5 cases of this.

Hope this helps.

On a Ze you should be testing L-N anyway!Really? I have installed hundreds and hundreds of Hager boards and never had or heard of anyone having a burned out main switch or breaker.Had a couple dodgy rcd's and that's it!You must be buying fake stuff

ombusdman are sill to get back to me about S.P.s extorsionate charge for fitting an isolator as they dont cut and reseal any more only fit isolators at £150 ffs I told them Id pay no more than £50 as 1 hr and £15 for isolator but they have monopoly

Reply to DNO Issue !!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net