Discuss do manufacturers apply diversity on their product info lables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
woh, long title, sorry. I ask because I have never clamped a cooker circuit before. I did yesterday, hob was labeled 6ka and when all 4 rings were on full, from cold, it pulled 31a for a good 5 minutes till the thermostats started kicking in. all well within the constraints of cable, but not very good if you were edging you bets with calcs.

cheers, adie

I'm guessing kA is a typo in your post, obviously 1kA is a thousand Amps.

No, manufacturers should not apply 'diversity' when stating energy consumption of appliances, they should state the maximum value. Even using some fairytale harmonised voltage of 230v, 31Amps is over 7kVA. Not sure where they got 6kVA from, have you got a photo of the info plate maybe?

Manufacturers will not apply diversity to their total load ratings, but will apply it in their connection information if applicable.

Many manufacturers aren't even helpful with the power ratings. All they often give you is a kWh figure, yeah helpful that..
I must admit I've never seen that. Mostly I've dealt with motors and drives rated in kW, and transformers rated in kVA or sometimes in VA. How can the manufacturer give a kWh figure without knowing the loading and duty cycle for the application?

I must admit I've never seen that. Mostly I've dealt with motors and drives rated in kW, and transformers rated in kVA or sometimes in VA. How can the manufacturer give a kWh figure without knowing the loading and duty cycle for the application?
With something like a fridge, you'll get an energy consumption figure in kWh/year. A washing machine may have energy use per cycle in kWh. So more use in estimating running costs than sizing a supply.

With something like a fridge, you'll get an energy consumption figure in kWh/year. A washing machine may have energy use per cycle in kWh. So more use in estimating running costs than sizing a supply.
It can only be a loose estimate at best and depend on many factors.

With so many factors involved you'd get, at best, a very loose estimate.

I don't think it would be even remotely possible to work backwards from the annual consumption figures to a load current.

Mostly I've dealt with motors and drives rated in kW, and transformers rated in kVA or sometimes in VA. How can the manufacturer give a kWh figure without knowing the loading and duty cycle for the application?
I blame the Europeans!
Here's the European Data Sheet giving the EU required information for a typical NEFF oven.
Download EU Data Sheet

oCare to guess the power requirements?

Sometimes, it is possible to find the loading from a supplier's web site. Often one has to wait for the bloomin thing to arrive so you can read the rating plate. The wiring work is usually all done long before then.:rolleyes:

Reply to do manufacturers apply diversity on their product info lables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock