Discuss Do these fuse linings contain asbestos? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening...

I have this fuse box to replace shortly but am unsure if these mem fuse carriers would have asbestos fuse linings. Would anyone be able to tell me?

Also, are there any dangers involved in removing the fuse carriers from the board if they do contain asbestos? I may just remove the whole board without the need to disturb the fuses but just wanted to have some idea of the dangers if I did need to remove them?

Also the same question for the GEC fuse carrier?

Also, is there anything you like the look of Lucien as I will save it for you? :)

We didn't come across these when being taught!!

20151020_102338.jpg20151020_103600.jpg20151020_103919.jpg

I would reckon there is a high chance to total certainty of the flash guards being asbestos behind those ceramic carriers.

Official guidance is on page 14 here
http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/assets/docs/beware-asbestos-reference-cards.pdf

I removed a cast isolator with asbestos flash guards this year, It's sat in my shed as a piece of interesting switchgear. I didn't don a suit and breathing apparatus to remove it. Nor did I start jabbing it with a screwdriver, trying to rip it from it's home or start sniffing and licking it though for that matter.

Yes they will unless they have fallen out in past, we dealt with loads of these in commercial dist boards a few years back, as qick remedial work fix the asbestos pads were removed by a licencenced contractor and the fuse holders replaced with the more modern MEM equivalent fuse carrier fitted BS88 fuses, in your instance yes replace the consumer unit you should comply Hse requirements for working with and disposal of asbestos.

The Kantark Minor fuses in that MEMspel don't have flashpads, the wire runs through a hole in the porcelain, so I don't think there's any albatross in that unit at all. The GEC might have, the earlier version of those carriers had a tube, might have been phased out by then though. In any case you don't need to disturb it to remove.

Thanks for the offer, I wonder whether we have that bakelite version? Definitely got the metal equivalent. Will look in the pic archives when I haven't got my head in a video server rack and report back...

The Kantark Minor fuses in that MEMspel don't have flashpads, the wire runs through a hole in the porcelain, so I don't think there's any albatross in that unit at all. The GEC might have, the earlier version of those carriers had a tube, might have been phased out by then though. In any case you don't need to disturb it to remove.

Thanks for the offer, I wonder whether we have that bakelite version? Definitely got the metal equivalent. Will look in the pic archives when I haven't got my head in a video server rack and report back...

Must say I have never and hopeful don't encounter even part of an albatross whilst changing switchgear, possibly even more dangerous to your health than asbestos if it's angry at being so squashed

This is the switch I have in the shed. An MEM Kantark. I must say I'm relieved to know that the woven white material is made from albatross down and not from anything harmful !

If you want this Lucien let me know. If not my missus will try and get me to make it into a key cupboard..... :annoyed:
2015-10-21 18.17.26.jpg2015-10-21 18.17.39.jpg2015-10-21 18.18.42.jpg2015-10-21 18.33.51.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to say, until I took it out earlier this year this was providing isolation and protection for garage lighting and sockets. 4 double metal clad sockets and 2 metal 6 foot fluorries. The supply to the garage was via 25m of 0.75mm 2 core flex direct from the fuseboard from a 30A BS3036 fuse.

Last edited:

Reply to Do these fuse linings contain asbestos? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net