Discuss Do we have to fit AFDD's in domestic installations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Right up to the point when something disastrous happens that is determined wouldn't have happened if an AFDD had been fitted
As long as you have followed the regulations and don't decide yourself what constitutes as a recommendation then there is no come back. The regs aren't there to trick you. They may seem to contradict themselves sometimes but a recommendation is a recommendation. When it comes to AFDDs they state where you shall you them, and even define what they mean and the recommend where else they could be used. If you decide that your not sure then use them everywhere then you won't need to worry.

Ive just put a board full of afdds on a thatch re wire as im not on a price so thought even if it gives 1% extra safety im doing it, (im an ex fireman and they burn well 😅) but the rest of my jobs i wont, they do have Bluetooth though so you can communicate with them with your phone with the hager app 🤣
You will have to let us know if they give any problems. 😀

Recommended does not mean you have too,however i always plan a defence in case this is questioned at any time .mine would read : it does not state “shall” (unless it does) ,good workmanship ,following equipment manufacturers instructions , checking all screw fit joints and of course proper inspection and testing with all results as expected or calculated . You could probably go further than this with proper cable supports,safe zones rcbos. For lighting for instance a series arc current (with led lamps) will most likely never be reached .

Ive just put a board full of afdds on a thatch re wire as im not on a price so thought even if it gives 1% extra safety im doing it, (im an ex fireman and they burn well 😅) but the rest of my jobs i wont, they do have Bluetooth though so you can communicate with them with your phone with the hager app 🤣
That is a very good example of where AFDD would be a sensible choice even though nor mandated.

Also I suspect owners of thatched roof properties can probably afford it, if not then they can't afford to maintain the thatching!

Update from napit technical team relating to when you have to fit AFDD in domestic premises and it's view on the term 'recommended'...

"Thanks for watching the AFDD webinar, we are pleased you enjoyed it. The term recommended is not a new requirement for AFDDs, if you refer to the 2018 Edition of BS 7671 (blue copy) Reg 421.1.7 recommends AFDDs for all AC final circuits. Unfortunately, with so many different installations and different user types it can only be a decision made by the designer after considering all aspects."

Basically they're saying it's up to us if we fit them. In reality, hardly anyone will fit them at present due to the cost. If there is a fire due to electrical arcing and it goes to court, the IET will say 'well we recommended it." A disappointing reply to my thorough question (although I pinched the wording from @Julie 's professional sounding post 😀)

I think, as part of my quote I will recommend AFDD's to be fitted. I'll perhaps write a small amount about there use, and then leave the customer to make the decision.

Never fitted one and until they become common place at less than 1/2 the price I won't be fitting any
Neither will I Dusty, but the point being... If there is a fire due to arcing then it will be the electrician who is deemed to be at fault because the IET have covered themselves with the word 'recommended'. I will now continue this bottom covering exercise by also adding the word 'recommend' in my quote.

Then, in 2-5 years we can all fit them as standard when they come down in price.

Then, we can all talk about the latest addition to the rcbo/afdd, with something else added to it which costs a fortune etc etc 😄.

Ive got a EICR to do today that requires measuring the building height ( floors ) to see if it come under HRRB regs and needs AFD’s

They better hope its under 18m !! Otherwise its 5x new AFD and thats not cheap !

I live in a timber clad and old oak barn conversion. It has been fully rewired to a high standard. Because of multiple buildings, we have multiple CUs, all Hager. We recently decided to fit AFDDs to all areas where we have any kind of fire risk concern and had no difficulty getting them via our trade accounts. What is interesting is the resistance to using them which I think is largely driven by cost. We paid £102 each, plus fitting and testing and some other necessary changes due to CU space. This is not a trivial sum for AFDD multiples in domestic properties. I am a developer, not a qualified electrician, though I am familiar with the regs. If the regulatory authorities think AFDDs will materially reduce fire risk then having vague wording like "recommended" is ridiculous. Eventually insurance companies will drive this. I specify them in developments now. They make sense to me.
NOT HAGER my god anything but them....they dont even trip when they are nearly on fire

Reply to Do we have to fit AFDD's in domestic installations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock