Discuss Dodgy neutral?? Im confused! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

catdog

-
Reaction score
HI there,

I've got limited experience but have problem with a light- there is power in the live wire but a light bulb wont light up! Im totally confused? My house is old but has been rewired but in a really complicated way- is it possible there is an issue with the neutral? Or could a wire light up a tester but not power a bulb?

Any advice would be appreciated!

HI there,

I've got limited experience but have problem with a light- there is power in the live wire but a light bulb wont light up! Im totally confused? My house is old but has been rewired but in a really complicated way- is it possible there is an issue with the neutral? Or could a wire light up a tester but not power a bulb?

Any advice would be appreciated!

well both the line (or phase) conductor and neutral are live conductors

if there is 230V between line and neutral then the lamp should light

If there was say 230V between line and earth, but not between line and neutral, then yes that would be a neutral problem, but if there is, you will REALLY need someone who knows what they are doing!

yeah always wondered about the insulation on them so never tried! if i was wanting to but like a propper good multimeter, what would u advise? and how much should i spend?

if you don't have a test meter you could try the followng
switch off power.
get a pendant with flex, and lamp in.
connect to live/neutral
briefly switch on to see if it lights up.
if not connect to live/earth and repeat.
if it lights up, you have a live and no neutral.

hope this helps

if i was u i would call somebody in to look at this as with lights depending on age of install u could find u remove the wrong core and make matters worse

yep thanks for advice guys, but need to get a good multi-meter so any advice on what should buy?

well i've just got a little Argos special for basic stuff, auto electrics etc, but if you are doing 'proper work' then GS38 is the prefered standard

Depends what you wanna do, do you want DC and AC voltage? Resistance? Continuity buzzer? Amps? I always used one of the Fluke industrial ones, cant remeber the number, with these you could plug in a current clamp or temp probe as well

You pays your money, you takes your choice

Reply to Dodgy neutral?? Im confused! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock