Discuss Does the brushed DC motor and Permanent magnet Dc motor need position feedback in the control system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys. I am an electrical electronics engineering student. I have two questions. if you answer my questions ı'll be happy. Thank you from now.

Does the brushed DC motor need position feedback in the control system? why?

Does the permanent magnet dc motor need position feedback in the control system? why?

Those questions don't make sense without context, and they also look like study questions which we won't answer for you although we'll help you answer them yourself.

If you mean position feedback to the drive electronics, then the difference lies in the method of commutation. How is a PM motor commutated? What governs the relationship between rotor position and which coil(s) are energised?

If you mean position feedback to the servo system itself, then the application dictates the answer. A lathe axis-drive and a fuel feed auger could both be part of a closed-loop control system, but only one requires positional feedback.

As noted above context is required, since you are an electronics student I suppose you are asking about DC motors, stepping motors and servo motors?

Last edited:
the speed will be directly proportional to the armature current.
I think you meant to say voltage, not current!

But the OP asks about position feedback, not velocity feedback...

Thank you for your help. I want to explain my question again.
Is the position feedback required in the brushless and brushless DC motor control system? why?. That's the question

How would you answer this question?

Is the position feedback required in the brushless and brushless DC motor control system? why?. That's the question

Welcome to the forum mate.
If you give us your thought on the answer then we will give ours. That way you will learn more.

Hi,you have not explained the question,just re-asked it;)

More detail regarding the type of motor,and it's use and control,would be needed to provide an answer.

At the moment,we are at the "Do i need to wear a jumper?" stage...

The question of these electrical machines is 1 course. precisely this is the question of the teacher. You can think of as simple dc brushed and brushless motors. Does a simple dc motor need feedback? we usually use a compount motor.

This isn't a complete question at all. There are literally billions of brush-less and brushed motors in everyday use without any position control. There must be more to this question than you're sharing.

But in any case, if you don't KNOW that you haven't asked enough to form a complete question, then what's the point in worrying about the right answer even if we could magically offer it to you? You still wouldn't know anything that you could apply in the real world.

I would suggest you hop over to the industrial electrical forum, that's where us automation geeks lurk... We're all too arsey to give you an easy answer, but some education might be forthcoming - if you learn how to ask a question ;)

So as not to seem a miserable bunch...i am going out on a limb,and will suggest the question might be "Why would position control be required,on a ---- type motor..."

A reasonable answer to this,would be,that a device or machine,may have the requirement to start/finish a cycle type process,at a precise or pre-determined position.

There are a multitude ways of doing this,many combinations,and reasons why one method would be better than another,on the same motor.

This is why you would have to either frame the question within detailed parameters,or furnish us with the full picture.

Nevertherless...a happy Christmas :)

So as not to seem a miserable bunch...i am going out on a limb,and will suggest the question might be "Why would position control be required,on a ---- type motor..."

A reasonable answer to this,would be,that a device or machine,may have the requirement to start/finish a cycle type process,at a precise or pre-determined position.

There are a multitude ways of doing this,many combinations,and reasons why one method would be better than another,on the same motor.

This is why you would have to either frame the question within detailed parameters,or furnish us with the full picture.

Nevertherless...a happy Christmas :)

I agree, but sadly the question appears to be not why, but what position control.

I am happy to be part of the aforementioned miserable bunch but the truth is, I see a student seeking knowledge and I do want to help.. It's just this particular student seems to have the question ahead of exam time, yet despite this apparent advantage has only bothered to post half of it here :rolleyes:

I suppose the 'one size fits all answer' is 'electronics'. Frankly with enough tech you could pick up a 100 year old motor and have it stop in any position you wish, so long as there are step sensors in place and you have a rough characteristic of the motor, the electronics and programming can easily do the rest, even if reverse voltage braking is required, it's all possible.

For me the biggest problem is that the student is apparently less interested in posing the question accurately, than we are in answering it. I feel the student needs to pick up their game a little, unless they just want a pass, not an actual skill :rolleyes:

And yes, Happy Christmas to you all :)

For me the biggest problem is that the student is apparently less interested in posing the question accurately, than we are in answering it. I feel the student needs to pick up their game a little, unless they just want a pass, not an actual skill :rolleyes:

And yes, Happy Christmas to you all :)

I suspect he's spread bet every electrical forum on the web grasping for an answer. I've got a vague, hazy memory when I used to look at books, if you remember those things.

Since compound is mentioned ,was thinking "get" characteristics for a series , (and cost where it may be worth while protecting from unwanted conditions )
..Design is usually Costed , rather than perfect word -Fool proof..
( Spread bet --Yep Xmas Punters !)

You lot are getting real cynical...he may just be trying to better himself...and get out of that Delight factory,where the merest discrepancy in chocolate thickness,earns you fifty lashes...

Does the brushed DC motor need position feedback in the control system? why?

If you want a DC brushed commutated motor to control a position variable then yes it does need a position feedback sensor and signal to a closed lo0p control system. The reason is that the stator and armature magnetic fields are permanently at right angles to one another when axis through the commutator brush pairs is parallel to the stator field:

Does the brushed DC motor and Permanent magnet Dc motor need position feedback in the control system {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

In this arrangement to Torque is the vector product of the Stator Field (A) and Armature Field (B) = T = A x B and of magnitude AB sinQ, where Q is the angle between the fields.

See for more on vector product:

Vector Product of Vectors - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vvec.html

So once the Stator and Armature fields are crosses by some angle greater or less than zero there will be a torque on the rotor one way round or the counter-way. Using a commutator there is no null position when sinQ = zero - there would be if slip rings were used or the axis of the brushes was changed to be at right angles the the stator field. Think about this or make a simple motor:

Does the permanent magnet dc motor need position feedback in the control system? why?

No it does not normally need a controlled loop control system with position sensing. Why? Because the armature now is a permanent magnet mechanically fixed to the rotor so as the rotor turns so does the direction of the armature field. The stator field depends on the positions of the coils - let us assume for now they are at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. For the simplest method of stator drive, the coils would be energised individually to produce stator fields with magnetic field axis up, right, down or left - depends on the direction of the current through the stator coils. If they were all reversed then it would be down, left, up and right - you get the idea.

The torque on the rotor through the interaction of the stator and armature field is as before S x A and of magnitude SAsinQ - the difference is that the armature field direction is free to rotate and will do so until sin Q is zero. Thus, the position of the rotor is determined by the stator coil distribution and how they are energised by current. In this was the rotor can be made to step by an increment (in my case 90 degrees) from one position to another just by providing appropriate stator currents to the coils. Thus in some applications a stepper motor can be used for open loop position control without a position sensor.

Merry Christmas

Marconi

Last edited:

Reply to Does the brushed DC motor and Permanent magnet Dc motor need position feedback in the control system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock