Discuss Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

it seems the goverment issued a white paper at the weekend regarding landlords and tenants one line of which reads

• This means that no one should visit the property to conduct viewings, or anything else which is not urgent and health and safety-related.

it goes on to state that broken windows , roof repairs boilers etc .. and other H&S related repairs should be the only reason to enter the property.

Thanks for everyones help i will email this to my manager tommorow

he is still saying Fixed wire testing comes under Health and safety critical works
so i guess i will have to make the choice to defy him and possibly lose my job or too take a risk which im not mentally prepared for

he is still saying Fixed wire testing comes under Health and safety critical works
so i guess i will have to make the choice to defy him and possibly lose my job or too take a risk which im not mentally prepared for
Everything in writing from now on would be my advice no matter what you decide, including your manager's instructions to carry on.

PHE tended to give only general guidance .my line manager insist that its essential work and has to be done ,however obtaining PPE gloves ,mask ,eye protection and alcohol hand wash is proving difficult.

PHE tended to give only general guidance .my line manager insist that its essential work and has to be done ,however obtaining PPE gloves ,mask ,eye protection and alcohol hand wash is proving difficult.

Your employer has a duty of care towards you and its client, I know that statement doesn't help you.

They have to provide you with the necessary PPE, I suspect they are saying you don't need the masks, gloves etc!

I work in a carehome, so slightly raised risks. But we (maintenance) have now stopped all non essential work in rooms, which includes compliance checks. Any 'emergency' works, we are required to wear standard PPE.

The best advice you’ve had mate is from @Andy78....tell him you want his instruction in writing, I’d also put your concerns and interpretation of the guidelines in writing to him (email) don’t state that you are not doing it just your issues with it it’s all evidence should the worst happen....you’ll never get any joy from acas they are a waste of time unless something is clear cut

Any guidance about what you should or should not be doing, should be obtained from the NHS/Public Health web site, which you’ve done.

Not visiting friends and family is mitigating you and your families exposure to the virus. Your employer sees your work as essential. Think about Nurses etc working in the NHS.

If you personally are extremely anxious about working, you should speak to your employer who would hopefully give you reassurance around yours and others safety. Other options could be that you ask for a period of annual leave/unpaid leave (subject to your employers agreement) or you have the option to go and see your GP, who might acknowledge your anxiety, and place you on sick leave.

(don‘t get the idea that’s these are my thoughts).

Its a very difficult situation.

Last edited:
I feel for you NF. As said, everything in writing from now on. I don't know if you can insist that each property is deep cleaned before you attend. Did you say this was for a housing association? Poor from your gaffer (certain swear words spring to mind..)..

tell ya boss you’ll happily attend every property if comes with you and performs the risk assessment first ?
I suspect he would. I’m having to go to work, nice cos I’m still getting paid, but I have a family that I could be exposing them to the virus.

The crux of this thread, is whether an EICR is essential work. Bearing in mind how much this thing is in flux, that will get answered in due course, perhaps.

thanks for all the advice , i am waiting for a full set of PPE before i even consider it, my boss has said that our contractors have been mostly refused entry and it seems to be more about trying to gain access (tho i wont be trying too hard) .

thanks for all the advice , i am waiting for a full set of PPE before i even consider it, my boss has said that our contractors have been mostly refused entry and it seems to be more about trying to gain access (tho i wont be trying too hard) .

Knock knock
Hi I'm here to do your unnecessary electrical inspection. If you refuse entry on grounds of safety I'll have to leave and then we'll all be safer.
Great, I'll be off then.

Knock knock
Hi I'm here to do COUGH COUGH your unnecessary electrical inspection. If you COUGH refuse entry COUGH on grounds of safety I'll have to leave and then we'll all be safer.
Great, I'll be off then.

COUGH

Edited for greater effect Andy, although it makes me seem slightly flippant... I'm not... ?

Speaking as a landlord, I'd just put any "due" EICRs on hold - under current legislation (in England at least, Scotland is different) they are not mandatory regardless of what any "guidelines" say.
As said, there's no way you could do an EICR safely - either to yourself or the occupiers. Think about it, you go into one house, pick up "things" on your clothes, then go into another house and risk spreading "things" to that house, then another house, ... Goes directly against government advice not to meet people unless it's necessary.

thats my view as well my employer says that electrical testing and gas annual services are a legal requirement as a social landlord (tho im fairly sure EICR's are not ,at least not yet anyway)

Reply to Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock