Discuss Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gas, yes; EICR, absolutely not. If you emplyer says otherwise, ask for the law or regulation requiring it.
There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT at the moment for any EICR for domestic properties, nor is there any specified retest period. What there IS is a legal requirement to ensure that electrical installation and any supplied appliances are "safe" both at the start of a tenancy and during it. This is most easily satisfied by getting a magic EICR so that if the brown stuff should hit the fan, you can stand in the dock and say "but the nice sparky said it was safe".
The "at the start of the tenancy" bit is presumably why so many advocate an EICR at every change of tenant. IMO, a visual inspection is sufficient to look for alterations and tampering - and a full inspection only if there's evidence of the previous tenant having fiddled with stuff. Obviously, part of the judgement will be the type of tenants - we generally have the sort where tampering is not something we are bothered with.
During the tenancy, IMO there is no need for EICRs to some set schedule (or at all, depending on type of tenants). But if periodic inspections (of the property, not specifically electrics) spot anything fiddled with then that could be reason to have an EICR done regardless of whether it's due or not.

it's all fair enough going to a house to restore power to something due to a fault, but having to be in close contact and rooting about all through the house to perform an EICR is a big no-no, IMO, due to the risk to health. i'm with OP on this one.

they scots seem to have the right idea while we just get conflicting information down here , i emailed NICEIC, ACAS , PHE and my MP they either have not replied or NIC says its fine

I’d hope your company has also explained to the more elderly and needy tenants that they are are in no way inclined to have to let you i
they scots seem to have the right idea while we just get conflicting information down here , i emailed NICEIC, ACAS , PHE and my MP they either have not replied or NIC says its fine
NIC the last true bastion of integrity ?

Sensible advice from Scottish govt and Select
Yes, that does seem like sensible advice - lets face it, electrical installs don't have a timer set to make them suddenly become dangerous as soon as they hit 5 years since the last test/inspection like Kevin ? Without going and finding the Scottish legislation, I note that it says "under legislation relating to the enforcement of the repairing standard a landlord can be considered to have complied with the standard if the work has not been done because it would endanger any person" - which is not the case with the Gas Safety regs in England.

were both good thanks ruston and healthy for now at least, but its back to work tomorrow , im not sure if we had a mild covid19 or something else ?

plead sick for a few more days. also could tell your boss you s not prepared to go into peoples' houses unless and until yous been tested for coviid 19 and proven negative.

It’s alright advising @newfutile what to do, but be mindful if his absent from work without a good reason, and currently he can’t prove or disprove he’s had COViD 19, and he’s already confirmed to his employer a return to work, he could face disciplinary action, which could include dismissal.

Its okay taking the high ground, but loosing his job from a disciplinary could have implications for his family and could result in also getting a poor employment reference.

Here's another link, this time from Unite, giving guidance from Gov/PHE/Acas;

Apart from the obvious, what are your concerns from returning to work newfutile?

The government are advising to self isolate if you suspect you have symptoms. They do not know if the have , or have had it . Surely caution is the safest thing to do.

The government are advising to self isolate if you suspect you have symptoms. They do not know if the have , or have had it . Surely caution is the safest thing to do.
As far as I’m aware OP had some symptoms and self isolated. He is now clear of those symptoms and completed the isolation period. He is unable to work from home, his employer deems his work as essential (don’t agree with that part), and wants him to return to work.

thats correct midwest i dont agree with them either , however there view is i am under an employment contract to do EICR's in there properties which they deem as urgent health and safety work. they also tell me its there duty as a social landlord (tho im not sure why perhaps insurance related?)

far more likely for a vehicle to become unroadworthy due to 6 monts postponed MOT than a domestic installation to become dangerous.

I think SELECT have coined it the best:

Only emergency repair and maintenance work essential to safety is undertaken until notified otherwise by the Scottish government. Examples include emergency repairs to heating and plumbing and ventilation systems, electrical and fire and security systems, roof and building fabric repairs, attending to lift breakdowns and releasing trapped users, telecom repairs etc. Your own trade association will provide further examples and guidance, but businesses should use their own judgement over what constitutes an ”emergency”.
3. Any other construction work including, but not restricted to, the installation of new heating systems, re-wiring of properties, building of extensions, fitting of new kitchens etc, should be suspended in the meantime.

far more likely for a vehicle to become unroadworthy due to 6 monts postponed MOT than a domestic installation to become dangerous.
You can be done for having an unroadworthy vehicle as you drive it back from the MOT testing station...

I agree telectrix almost all of out properties have RCD and 609898 mcb protection and the main remedials i do are non working pendants / sockets , smoke and CO alarm changes and filling top of CU to IP4X , its quite rare to find missing main equipotential bonding and broken/incomplete rings and except for when a contractor has added type c mcbs all the maximum ZS are well under the 80% limit .

You can be done for having an unroadworthy vehicle as you drive it back from the MOT testing station...
agree, but not much comfort to the pregnant nun you run over on a zebra crossing when your brakes fail

Reply to Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock