Discuss DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mickael

DIY
Reaction score
Hey guys - I am in the process of buying a flat, and just got the electrical installation report. Seeking for feedback on the following:
- THE FIXED WIRING IS IN FAIR CONDITION FOR ITS AGE. THE PROPERTY DOES NOT FULLY COMPLY WITH BS:7671 AS
AMENDED DUE TO THE CODES LISTED ON PAGE 2. THE PROPERTY IS IN AN UNSATISFACTORY CONDITION AT TIME OF TEST
  • NO AFDDS PRESENT - classification code: INFO
  • NO SPD PRESENT - C3

Are these worrying things? Should I ask the sellers to do anything before buying this property?
Many thanks

There is nothing in that report that I would be worried about, if they are the the worst things they can point out, then you are on to a winner.
I am presuming you have organised and paid for the report?

There is nothing in that report that I would be worried about, if they are the the worst things they can point out, then you are on to a winner.
I am presuming you have organised and paid for the report?
Hi James no I haven't - this report is from last year and has been provided to me by the estate agent (who also seems to have had the maintenance contract for the flat while being rented). They gave a "satisfactory" rating on the section 5 and recommended to be checked again within 5 years. I am just confused with the comment "THE PROPERTY IS IN AN UNSATISFACTORY CONDITION AT TIME OF TEST" on the section 8 General Conditions

sorry, just read your post again,
The statement "THE PROPERTY IS IN AN UNSATISFACTORY CONDITION AT TIME OF TEST" is likely to be incorrect based on the limited info we have.

can you post the full report?
please remove or obscure personal details first

sorry, just read your post again,
The statement "THE PROPERTY IS IN AN UNSATISFACTORY CONDITION AT TIME OF TEST" is likely to be incorrect based on the limited info we have.

can you post the full report?
please remove or obscure personal details first
Of course - thank you so much James!

Attachments

• Electricity report.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
Looking at that, you are on to a winner.
the report says on page 1 that the condition is satisfactory.
that is the important part.

the fact later on in the comments that is says THE PROPERTY IS IN AN UNSATISFACTORY CONDITION AT TIME OF TEST
is a bargaining tool to reduce the price, if nobody looks in to it further then that is the statement i woud go with for the agents and seller.

in all honesty i expect it was a poor attempt by the inspector to get a job changing the fuse box.
in my opinion, that would not be necessary.

However, I would recommend that before purchase, you have your own report done by an electrician you trust.
The details in that report can of course be kept to yourself or shared with the seller depending on what you want to get out of it.

Looking at that, you are on to a winner.
the report says on page 1 that the condition is satisfactory.
that is the important part.

the fact later on in the comments that is says THE PROPERTY IS IN AN UNSATISFACTORY CONDITION AT TIME OF TEST
is a bargaining tool to reduce the price, if nobody looks in to it further then that is the statement i woud go with for the agents and seller.

in all honesty i expect it was a poor attempt by the inspector to get a job changing the fuse box.
in my opinion, that would not be necessary.

However, I would recommend that before purchase, you have your own report done by an electrician you trust.
The details in that report can of course be kept to yourself or shared with the seller depending on what you want to get out of it.
I really appreciate you took the time James thank you so much

It is an extremely reasonable EICR, but tries to take advantage of the fact that the average layman has no idea how to interpret it.
I'm not so sure, after all most of the dodgy ones we see on here have pushed C2 codes on items that most would disagree on (and are not in line with BPG #4 guidance, etc) and then they say it is "unsatisfactory" and offer to fix it.

My own feeling is either that is a typo in box #8. Or maybe there was some minor aspect (e.g. missing blank in CU) that the sparky just fixed at the time so it is not in the report, even though at the time something needed done?

I'm not so sure, after all most of the dodgy ones we see on here have pushed C2 codes on items that most would disagree on (and are not in line with BPG #4 guidance, etc) and then they say it is "unsatisfactory" and offer to fix it.

My own feeling is either that is a typo in box #8. Or maybe there was some minor aspect (e.g. missing blank in CU) that the sparky just fixed at the time so it is not in the report, even though at the time something needed done?
Yeah the report does seem pretty legit, though there are some discrepancies. On the check sheet 3 x C3's are noted but in the summary only the lack of AFDD & SPD's are mentioned. Since there are no C1's & C2's then the report should read satisfactory, which it does state in the summary section 5, but then goes on to contradict this in section 8 with "unsatisfactory".

Seems odd that the emphasis is centred around the lack of SPD's & AFDD's. This does indicate the possibility of a money making ploy. Personally I would have given it "satisfactory" and recommended for consideration a non combustible CCU upgrade, to include the SPD's and AFDD's for future proofing and improved safety.

Reply to DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock