Discuss DOMESTIC SUPPLY USED AS A TEMPORARY BUILDERS SUPPLY FOR HOUSE CONVERSION in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JOURNEYMAN

-
Arms
Reaction score
I often work alongside a small team of other trades on flats and house refurbishments for private owners, however on a slightly bigger project than usual, I've been asked to provide a temporary builders board in a large house that is to be converted into four flats. The existing supply into the property is a TNS 100Amp single phase and is in good order. All of the final circuits have already been stripped out back to the old fuse board which is located under the stairs. The fuse board is very dated though and has no rcd protection. The whole building is empty and stripped out back to brick.
The building is going to have a new 3 phase supply which will feed a Ryefield board, meters, isolators and SWA's into each new flat, which in turn will have their own individual fuse boards. Meanwhile the builder would like to use the existing supply until the flats have been wired and the new supply connected. He wants somewhere to plug in his 110v transformers for lighting and power tools. If I change the existing fuse board and fit a new metalclad fuse board, 30mA RCD protected metal clad sockets within say a meterbox (extra protection from dust etc) next to the existing service head & meter and also TT it instead of using the TNS, will this suffice as a temporary board and do I need to notify Building Control immediately of the board change or do I change the board as described and not bother notifying it and just wait until we fit the new fuse boards in each flat in a couple of months time and issue all the installation certs/notifications for each flat then? My instinct is to test,certify and notify the new 'temporary installation and board' regardless as soon as it's in and notify with the LA as I would normally for a board change or is it not necessary for such a short period of time while the works are on going? I've probably answered my own question but wondered what others do in similar circumstances.

OP - its probably worth you while making up a small temporary board with CU with RCD's and sockets............. then you can move it from job to job....
Definitely the way to go as I have an unused surface mount meter box sat in the shed that I thought would be ideal to rig up a temporary board in.

I agree with Mr m ,make up a temp board where other trades man can use for batterie power tools & other power tools .and make sure
that board in not over loaded like you see on some jobs hair dryers curling tongs. on some jobs some sparks like to keep there best .

Reply to DOMESTIC SUPPLY USED AS A TEMPORARY BUILDERS SUPPLY FOR HOUSE CONVERSION in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net