Discuss door bell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kduck

been asked to wire in a mains door bell, would I take 1 mm from fuse box to transformer, then wire in bell wire from there to switch then back to door chime.

sounds about right. I wiould use 1.5 to thwe transformer and if i had a spare way put in a designated overcurrent device. If not tap of a lighting circuit but mark it clearly.

Be carfull what door bell you buy, I recently brought a new wired door bell from CEF and have had nothing but trouble with it, its took me 3 days going backwards and forwards trying to get it to work right. It was a nighmare.
I tried everything and couldnt get a decent "Ding "Dong" i was only getting a "Dong".
Tried 3 different bell pushes, moving the contact in the bell push.. but no joy.
In the end i brought the customer a byron buzzer. not the best sound but alot louder than a "Ding Dong" bell.

I wouldn't recomend getting what ever is the cheapest from your wholsaler. Pay that bit extra for a quality bell.

(p.s. I have always doubled up alarm cable or BT cable for bells instead of using single core bell wire. Never once had a problem with this method)

My own door bell is wired, from mains lighting circuit by CU to the transformer then to bell chime and then from there to outdoors.

I tried everything and couldnt get a decent "Ding "Dong" i was only getting a "Dong".

FYI, some door bells come with a facility to have two seperate bell pushes i.e one for front door and one for back door. The sounds they make are also different, front door will be ding dong and back door will be only dong. You may have had one of these????

Cheers.

Alrght len, yeah i'm well aware of this, this was not one of them door bells. I have used both. This is just a standard "ding dong" nothing else.

I have a TracTR7 bell transformer for the bell no instructions with it. On the transformer its got mains in come with two terminals one says 220 the other 250 do I take a live and neutral to them here, which goes in which. On the output side its got three terminals one with 4V one with 12V and one with 8V do i then take the 4V one to the bell push then to the chime, then is it the 8v straight to the chime to give it 12 volts, is that right???????

I have a TracTR7 bell transformer for the bell no instructions with it. On the transformer its got mains in come with two terminals one says 220 the other 250 do I take a live and neutral to them here, which goes in which. On the output side its got three terminals one with 4V one with 12V and one with 8V do i then take the 4V one to the bell push then to the chime, then is it the 8v straight to the chime to give it 12 volts, is that right???????

You should only need 8v output in total from the transformer to the bell. not 12v

feed into the transformer with 230v, then 2 cores out (8/9v) to the door chime, then a seperate 2 cores from bell push to door chime.

Last edited by a moderator:
you say two core out of the transformer to bell push one from 8V the other from where? or do they both come from the 8V at the transformer. Is there a neutral to the transformer? Sorry but never done one before.

you say two core out of the transformer to bell push

No not from transformer to bell push, from transformer to door chime. then another 2 cores from bell push to door chime, (ending up with 4 cores at door chime)

This is how ive always done it, Although i think there is other methods.

Ok just to see if I've got this right. two core from transfomer both carrying load to one side of the chime. Then two core (split) one from income side at the chime to bell push and the return (switch) bell push to other side of chime.
Also is it L and N into the transformer, or just live.thanks for your help so far

The live and neutral from your mains supply go to the primary (230v) side of the transformer.

The secondary side of the transformer 8 volts in your case go to the chime.

The bell push is wired in series on the 8 volt side of the transformer to the feed going to the chime.

The bell push is normally open circuit and when pushed makes contact completing the supply to the chime.

Under no circumstance should you connect the bell push on the primary 230v side of the transformer,the bell push is only designed for elv (Extra low voltage)

Bit detailed but hope you get the jist;):)

Reply to door bell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock