Discuss Double dimmer switch - swapping round switches in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rory Edwards

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to light switches but managed to wire a single normal switch a few years back so thought I'd be okay with tackling this job but in truth I can't work out where to start!

The issue is that in our living room we have a double dimmer switch but the switch on the left controls the light at the right of the room and vice-versa. I want to swap these around so that they both control the light that is on that side of the room but having looked at the wiring I can't work out how I'd do this.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rory

Double dimmer switch - swapping round switches IMG_20190601_072009 - EletriciansForums.net

If the wires are long enough just fit it the other way around. Where does the blue wire connected to the terminal (earth) on the front plate go.

If the wires are long enough just fit it the other way around. Where does the blue wire connected to the terminal (earth) on the front plate go.
worrying.

That's what I meant but I suspect the blue wire goes to the back box and it ain't long enough.

That's correct- unfortunately the blue wire isn't long enough to swap around ☹️
That's correct- unfortunately the blue wire isn't long enough to swap around ☹️
The blue wire should be marked g/y so I would replace it with a longer piece marked correctly and turn the dimmer round
If the wires are long enough just fit it the other way around. Where does the blue wire connected to the terminal (earth) on the front plate go.[/QUO

Just swapping the dimmer modules round may not work...they are asymetrical often which is why one is upside-down, so to speak...it all depends on the length of the wires feeding them

Reply to Double dimmer switch - swapping round switches in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock