Discuss Double paid off job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hypothetically, what happens if you were paid twice for the same work?

Hypothetically of course.

Come on, you know better than just a one liner like that. Give us some more 'hypothetical' info!

Let’s just say it was a rush job, emergency call out over Christmas. Sent invoice same day.
2 weeks goes by, so I sent a reminder.

I get a form to fill in, “new supplier” and eventually get an email saying “you will be paid 19th January” which it duly was.

Fast forward to today… another email with “you will be paid 30th jan” same amount.

I think they’ve taken the reminder as a separate invoice, even thought it’s got “reminder” typed in red on the top.

So hypothetically… I get paid twice…. Or I contact them now about their mistake.

Let’s just say it was a rush job, emergency call out over Christmas. Sent invoice same day.

I get a form to fill in, “new supplier” and eventually get an email saying “you will be paid 19th January” which it duly was.

Fast forward to today… another email with “you will be paid 30th jan” same amount.

I think they’ve taken the reminder as a separate invoice, even thought it’s got “reminder” typed in red on the top.

So hypothetically… I get paid twice…. Or I contact them now about their mistake.

That's a bit of a dilemma is that one.

Easy, has happened to me a few times. With regular customers, if its a small amount i ask what they want me to do as it really depends how they manage their accounts. I have, for example, on the next invoice, created a negative amount for the double paid invoice. I have also sent the money back to their bank (when requested) with a specific reference, it was over £3K that was paid twice. Once one customer just said "forget about it"... lol
I didn't and netted off the next invoice. One way or another accounts have to balance otherwise there is chaos and mayhem.....lol

I don’t get the problem. One email back saying thanks but this invoice has already been settled. Job done. It’s simply not worth any other plan!

I had a fun one when I got asked to attend a fault when another local sparks had dragged his heels.
I said I’d have a look at end of day.
Middle of afternoon he phoned again “have you been already?”. No. Oh well sorry but it seems the other guy fixed it.
No drama.

3 months later I got an email saying I’d never invoiced for the work (that I didn’t do in the first place).

Hypothetically speaking.

How would you feel if you was asked to pay for something twice.

You know you've paid it the first time, but then another invoice came through.

This actually does happen more than you think in real life. Without mentioning names a notorious website selling 'Domain names' actually pulled this trick for quite a while.
I discovered most people paid it as well, cuz they didn't want the legal hassle the website claimed to throw at them!

Today they can't sell anymore Domain names, cuz they have no customers to sell them too.

Question answered. I’ll email them.

I don’t know if I’m going to get future work off them that I could adjust the invoices to cover it….

But, hypothetically again… their finance dept believe they are paying 2 different invoices… the remittance advices have different payment references.
Someone on their end has made a mistake….. but I am going to do the honest thing.

Hypothetically it's impossible to say what is going on, depends how you want to think about it.

It could be a youngster has started for the company, and been given responsibilities from peers because it's a mind numbingly boring job sending and paying invoices, and there mistake is about to make working life a thousand times worse.

Or

It could be the company have so much money, that they simply don't care if a few thousand quid is lost here and there

But again hypothetically it's impossible to tell.

Unless you discover that they are actually a wrong old crowd, and full of rogue CEOS.

Then I'd happily keep invoicing them and getting paid, until retirement and beyond!

Looks to me like an honest mistake.

PS, Hypothetically you stand a better chance of getting more work from them to readjust invoices, than you do if you said nothing and they twig the mistake!

Just reminded me of the only time i have invoiced twice, eek. Basically i only invoice, almost always after the work has been done. Its a simple system that has worked for 14 years. I dont take deposits.

There was one instance where a regular client asked to be invoiced before i had done the work. I duly complied, thinking my memory was sufficient to remember i had done it. As you can probably guess, when i did actually do the work, i invoiced again.

the client emailed me to say "what the 8uck" - i rang him back, told him to throw the invoice in the bin and apologised for being a muppet and also thanked him for spotting it as it probably would have taken til the end of the financial year before i spotted it.

Honest errors do happen, even with the most sophisticated clients and suppliers.

I have had to correct errors with my preferred wholesaler a few times, often the errors are not in my favour.

98% of the time I would tell the customer they had paid twice and return the money. It's not 100% as nothing is certain. There is a 2% chance it could have been a truly dreadful customer, in which case I would not tell them. I would then plan on giving it to charity as it would feel good diverting cash from a horrible person to a good cause. Notice I say 'plan', as there is of course the chance time would flit by and I would forget about it.

Reply to Double paid off job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net