Discuss Downstairs toilet... regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Strangely I cant stand the ugly fan switch being on the outside of the room, will ruin my hallway feng shui! I've had to relent for the 2 bathrooms upstairs but the downstairs bog is having a dangle one inside the room.

A 2g switch doesn't look that different to a 1g switch!

It's not a special location, and as far as I know doesn't require overrun, so just fit a 2g switch in the room and be done with it.
[automerge]1594143695[/automerge]
Fan will have its own feed from the junction box in the ceiling with a switched live for the timer from the lightswitch.

Has the BI specified an overrun timer?

A junction box on a new installation sounds like a very bad idea to me, even if it is MF I wouldn't accept it personally.

Has the BI specified an overrun timer?

A junction box on a new installation sounds like a very bad idea to me, even if it is MF I wouldn't accept it personally.

The BI has for the utility room next door so to please i'll fit one in the loo too. though i haven't seen anything in writing to suggest that its a requirement for the rooms.

The lighting circuit will run from the 6A RCBO in the CU to a Hager 804 which sends a line to the light switch and a line to the fan then a line off to the next 804 for the utility room light and fan then pantry light and finally hallway light.
For my understanding can you explain why it's a bad idea to use a junction box?

The lighting circuit will run from the 6A RCBO in the CU to a Hager 804 which sends a line to the light switch and a line to the fan then a line off to the next 804 for the utility room light and fan then pantry light and finally hallway light.
For my understanding can you explain why it's a bad idea to use a junction box?

Why can't you just use one of the normal methods of wiring a lighting circuit? You're giving the impression that you're intending to install a joint box for every room!
Common sense and basic good working practice, every joint is a potential point of failure, hidden joints are a nightmare for fault finding and a pain for anyone working on the installation in the future.
Plus unnecessary joints in a new circuitis a good sign that the person doing the work doesn't know what they are doing.

The utility room fan definately doesn't need an overrun timer, we always used to put these on the power circuit via an SFCU as there is no reason for it to be on a lighting circuit.

I didn't think the utility or the loo need an overrun timer but the BI has suggested it, so happy to fit. The extractors will have a 3a fuse alongside the isolator for each room as that's a requirement in the installation documents from the manufacturer.

No not every room has a jb, only two in this circuit and both are accessible.

By normal do you mean ceiling roses to distribute?

I'm using LED down lighters in the 4 rooms so believed that junction boxes were the most suitable way to send power to the switches. Other than running the supply line through all of the switch points what would your preferred method be?

No not every room has a jb, only two in this circuit and both are accessible.

By normal do you mean ceiling roses to distribute?

It's unusual to have somewhere accessible to locate a joint box, especially for ground floor lighting circuits.

By normal I mean either 3 plate or taking feeds to the switches.
Considering the current trends in technology and the recommendation. in the regulations I would tend towards taking feeds to the switches.

Hi,
Currently rewiring my new house and have accepted that the building inspector wants and extractor fan in the downstairs loo. However I'm struggling to work out what is acceptable in regards to "zones"
There is no shower or bath, but there is a small sink and the toilet.
The extractor requires a 3A fuse.
I can't seem to see a statement in the regs or onsite guide to what the zoning requirement actually is for this small room.

As a 3pole pull cord fused fan isolator doesn't seem to exist can I fit an Ip20 rated fused fan isolator switch to the wall above 2.25m ?
Yes it does, Click Polar PRW208.

Buy a decent fan that doesn't need fused down, plenty exist :cool:
I will be doing now that Andy78 recommended the environment ones (thanks), I have looked at many makes but all had statements in the installation instructions requiring fusing down which was part of my original thought for a fused 3 pole cord switch.
using Click stuff throughout the house so will go for the polar cord one

Reply to Downstairs toilet... regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock