Discuss Early Days of Being Self-Employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just started out on my own coming into my 3rd month. The first month and half I was mega busy working 5 or 6 days every week and now I'm currently doing 2 or 3 jobs a week. My number has been passed on from clients I've worked for and I've spoken to a few builders and plumber I know. I've also ordered a load of leaflets that I can post on a street when I do a job and created my facebook so people can leave reviews.

What were other people's experiences starting out? How long did it take for the work to come in and what did you do to find it? At the moment it feels like a bit of a waiting a game for recommendations after the initial rush and just try to get my name out there

Yes. Agree signwritten van.
Just redid mine during lockdown as a fresh start… new van, new logo.
Signwiriting shows you’re professional in your appearance, although in certain areas of the country, it’s the signwritten vans that get targeted by thieves.

Been SE coming on 4 years, and it’s up and down. Some weeks are busier than others, just the way it goes. Use the downtime wisely, paperwork, courses… anything you can do now, rather than when you’re busy and not got time… Even if it costs you money.

One of the first things I did was get a domain name and had a website made up.
Whether I needed to or not, is yet to be seen.

Work will pick up. Previous customers will have you back if you did a good job, and will recommend you to others.

Being SE is a marathon and not a sprint , some months you will be rushing about like a mad man and the next you will be scratching around some days with nothing to do

The most important thing I wish I could have told myself 25 years ago is to make sure that you price every job to make the maximum profit out of it, all far too often I was just so busy to estimate properly and ended up doing jobs far too cheaply

As already mentioned , a smart van and smart website are a must these days along with nice looking paperwork etc

Gone are the days where you can scribble a rewire quote on an old ladbrokes betting slip

It definitely can feel like your pushing an elephant up a hill some days, but stick at it! I have never advertised in 20 years and have always been busy. I find recommendation is the best way unless you really want to grow!
Self employment to me is more of a lifestyle that than a job, things can and do go wrong sometimes but you just have to do the best you can!
Most of all my words of wisdom would be,
Always be punctual and polite. (If you are running late contact your customer)
Present yourself and your vehicle in a tidy manor.
Always run a clean tidy job with dust sheets stroll n roll ect.
Never say something is impossible, there is always a way!
And keep smiling!
Sy

Also, I know its a bit cheeky but every 18 months or so I ring up another local contractors pretending to be a customer to try to get some prices over the phone just to make sure my pricing is still in the right ball park.
Its a good way of making sure you are not too cheap.
I am always a little surprised how much other contractors have raised their prices to.

Dont have a van sign written .If you really need the advertising .Use magnetic signs . Cheaper to amend details and offers better security .

Never work for cheap people .You are not a charity .

facebook can be a bit "meh" . Instagram is a lot more professional I think .

And never work for cheap people !

100000%%%%

NEVER WORK FOR CHEAP PEOPLE

Your quote is your price , if they ask for money off ask them politely to ask someone else to do the job (this includes mates and family friends)

Cheers guys, some good advice there

I might look at getting some signage on the van then as a couple of other people have mentioned that as well

Any days I don't have a job on I just need to make sure I do something work related and keep myself motivated

And this might sound mad to many .......dont take cash . It looks un professional and they will be thinking they can also cheat the system and knock you down etc .
There are times when taking cash is the difference between getting paid or not getting paid

There are times when taking cash is the difference between getting paid or not getting paid
Yep....but offering to accept cash etc or doing "deals" can end up been a nightmare . "Cash" translates to the average person as cheap and fiddling the system. If it goes wrong and it gets to court etc , it can be messy !

Furnish them with a receipt and it'll make no difference how payment is made.
£1000 paid online is £1000 in my bank . £1000 paid cash normally ends up with me having to go to bank..so that time and effort and then its £100 short as Ive spent it etc ! .For convenience I prefer the full amount per job paid in . Also clients see a far more transparent transaction.

£1000 paid online is £1000 in my bank . £1000 paid cash normally ends up with me having to go to bank..so that time and effort and then its £100 short as Ive spent it etc ! .For convenience I prefer the full amount per job paid in . Also clients see a far more transparent transaction.

Keep a book for cash - while petty cash is generally maintained at lower amounts, there's no reason why you can't keep it out of the bank and make payments to suppliers with it. Saves the hassle of a trip to the bank and the few bob they cream off for lodgements.

I guess most of my clients dont want to pay cash as they see this as a possible "cheat the system" game.

Perhaps they're used to tradesmen who shove the money in their back pocket and aren't ever seen again. What I would state is that there is a world of difference between accepting cash as one of many payment options and insisting on cash payment.

Cash is a funnyone , I do small jobs for older people who like to pay cash and they almost insist that you take cash. They will pay their window cleaners and gardeners cash weekly. But on bigger jobs where I am taking a deposit and stage payments i ask for it to be bank transfer. Its all about a modern professional image these days...

Cash is a funnyone , I do small jobs for older people who like to pay cash and they almost insist that you take cash. They will pay their window cleaners and gardeners cash weekly. But on bigger jobs where I am taking a deposit and stage payments i ask for it to be bank transfer. Its all about a modern professional image these days...
I do quite a bit of work for older people and they always want to pay with cash be it £50 or thousands, most don't do digital banking, did a job earlier this year and the guy (in his late 70's) was insisting on doing a few trips to a cash machine and drawing the cash to pay me I had to conince him I was happy with a cheque, I was passiing a post office on my way home so it was not to inconvenient for me to pay it in, this guy has a few rental properties and recently he wanted a little job doing on one of them rang him to tell him the job was done and he told me to call to his house and he would pay me didn't get chance to call as I was busy so a few days later he rang me and told me he would drop the cash off at my house.
I guess most of my clients dont want to pay cash as they see this as a possible "cheat the system" game.
I'm sure a lot of shopkeepers would be offended by that comment

Reply to Early Days of Being Self-Employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net