Discuss EARTH LEAKAGE CLAMP METER in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am looking at buying an earth leakage clamp meter AMECaL ST-9810 (£59) or a Megger DCM305E (on offer at £194).
The only use will be mainly domestic fault finding.
Any opinions will be most welcome.

I've got an alternate version of the AMEcal, think it's the Tek one.
It was only for a backup to the company provided one and mainly because it's very compact.

If I was still working and buying one for myself it would be a Megger, or any other quality brand.

Buy cheap, buy twice (or more.)

I doubt you'll be able to get the AMEcal calibrated by anyone.

If it's only for fault finding is the expense of calibration worth it any way?
Bit pointless having a tester of any sort that's way out of range...could lead you on a bit of a wild goose chase with false readings.

Bit pointless having a tester of any sort that's way out of range...could lead you on a bit of a wild goose chase with false readings.
Thanks.
My thoughts were if buying a new tester it should be accurate.
I won't need traceability to national standards since it won't be used to certify anything. Periodic sanity checks could be done on a known circuit resistor.
Regards,
Mike.

Neither.
What about DC leakage currents?

Excuse my ignorance but if the OP want's it mainly for domestic fault finding then is there DC leakage current?

I'm industrial mate. Where would DC RCD's be used in a domestic situation?
Just trying to learn stuff?

Type AC - General purpose use, RCD can detect & respond to AC sinusoidal wave only.

Type A - Equipment incorporating electronic components RCD can detect & respond as for type AC, PLUS pulsating DC components.

Type F - Equipment with frequency controlled speed drives RCD can detect & respons as for type A, PLUS high frequency residual current.

Type B - Electric vehicle chargers, PV supplies.

• RCD can detect & respond for type F, PLUS smooth DC residual current.

Type AC - General purpose use, RCD can detect & respond to AC sinusoidal wave only.

Type A - Equipment incorporating electronic components RCD can detect & respond as for type AC, PLUS pulsating DC components.

Type F - Equipment with frequency controlled speed drives RCD can detect & respons as for type A, PLUS high frequency residual current.

Type B - Electric vehicle chargers, PV supplies.

• RCD can detect & respond for type F, PLUS smooth DC residual current.

Thanks for that mate. I think my brain has kicked in a bit now.
So besides solar power and electrical vehicle chargers would there be anything else that would produce DC earth leakage in a domestic setting?

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think I shall encounter DC unless you can furthereducate me for domestic situations.
Regards,
Mike.

Reply to EARTH LEAKAGE CLAMP METER in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock