Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss EARTH LEAKAGE CLAMP METER in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I am looking at buying an earth leakage clamp meter AMECaL ST-9810 (£59) or a Megger DCM305E (on offer at £194).
The only use will be mainly domestic fault finding.
Any opinions will be most welcome.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
buy the Megger.

snowhead

-
Mentor
I've got an alternate version of the AMEcal, think it's the Tek one.
It was only for a backup to the company provided one and mainly because it's very compact.

If I was still working and buying one for myself it would be a Megger, or any other quality brand.

Buy cheap, buy twice (or more.)

I doubt you'll be able to get the AMEcal calibrated by anyone.

-
Arms
Esteemed
If it's only for fault finding is the expense of calibration worth it any way?
Bit pointless having a tester of any sort that's way out of range...could lead you on a bit of a wild goose chase with false readings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bit pointless having a tester of any sort that's way out of range...could lead you on a bit of a wild goose chase with false readings.
Thanks.
My thoughts were if buying a new tester it should be accurate.
I won't need traceability to national standards since it won't be used to certify anything. Periodic sanity checks could be done on a known circuit resistor.
Regards,
Mike.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Neither.
What about DC leakage currents?
Excuse my ignorance but if the OP want's it mainly for domestic fault finding then is there DC leakage current?

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
What are the different types of RCD?
I'm industrial mate. Where would DC RCD's be used in a domestic situation?
Just trying to learn stuff?

Charlie_

-
Arms
I'm industrial mate. Where would DC RCD's be used in a domestic situation?
Just trying to learn stuff?
Type AC - General purpose use, RCD can detect & respond to AC sinusoidal wave only.

Type A - Equipment incorporating electronic components RCD can detect & respond as for type AC, PLUS pulsating DC components.

Type F - Equipment with frequency controlled speed drives RCD can detect & respons as for type A, PLUS high frequency residual current.

Type B - Electric vehicle chargers, PV supplies.

• RCD can detect & respond for type F, PLUS smooth DC residual current.

Charlie_

-
Arms
Think the AC only type seem to be getting phased out or it would appear to be so

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to EARTH LEAKAGE CLAMP METER in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom