Discuss Two RCBOs tripping together, no cross-connection. Need help… in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think you’re onto something there – I got the customer to ask around in the street last night, and one of his neighbours two doors down had exactly the same issue at exactly the same time, so I am thinking there is a problem with the supply in The Street. I’ve got him to raise the issue with the DNO. The only bit I have not checked is the switch fuse and sub main from my customers meter to his CU.
When you come across faults like these that are not blatantly obvious then you have to follow a process of elimination and commonality. The actual details in the facts matter so it almost becomes like a court of law situation where you need the actual details from the users. Then you can start to dismiss things like "It only ever happens when the X-factor comes on".

I remember upgrading a CCU many years back at a house to include a RCD. A couple days later I was called out to the RCD "nuisance" tripping. Long story short it turned out that there was a fault on the cooker and when a certain hob ring was switched on it would trip the RCD. It took me a while to figure it out and i had to interrogate the customer to find a commonality that fitted to the problem.
Though they did try to argue with me that the cooker was fine and had been ok until I coincidently fitted the new CCU. It took me a while to explain and get them to accept that the fault was most likely all ready there and that the new safety device I had fitted highlighted this, and that it had potentially saved them from a future nasty electric shock.

Of course they don’t. But there is a higher chance of rodents in an old cottage, on a farm, full of holes than in a new inner town development.

Looks like there’s a common problem for the whole street, so no point guessing now. Lol
I live in an 1890s house, mice arrive every autumn and I'm in the middle of a town

When you come across faults like these that are not blatantly obvious then you have to follow a process of elimination and commonality. The actual details in the facts matter so it almost becomes like a court of law situation where you need the actual details from the users. Then you can start to dismiss things like "It only ever happens when the X-factor comes on".

I remember upgrading a CCU many years back at a house to include a RCD. A couple days later I was called out to the RCD "nuisance" tripping. Long story short it turned out that there was a fault on the cooker and when a certain hob ring was switched on it would trip the RCD. It took me a while to figure it out and i had to interrogate the customer to find a commonality that fitted to the problem.
Though they did try to argue with me that the cooker was fine and had been ok until I coincidently fitted the new CCU. It took me a while to explain and get them to accept that the fault was most likely all ready there and that the new safety device I had fitted highlighted this, and that it had potentially saved them from a future nasty electric shock.
when mcbs where newish i kept getting call to a house where the mcb tripped every morning it turned out to be his transistor radio being turned on lol

Simultaneous tripping of multiple power circuits that are proven not to be interconnected, plus flickering lights on a lighting circuit that is not tripping, suggest to me an intermittent connection upstream, possibly in the DNO supply, as is now suspected.

When an intermittent connection arcs, it causes rapid fluctuations in voltage which momentarily increases the leakage current through interference suppression capacitors connected L-E within class I appliances. These normally pass a small amount of functional leakage current which depends on the supply voltage and frequency. Xc = 1/(2*Π*50*C) and I = V/Xc. But the fast risetime spikes caused by the series arcing subject the capacitors to frequencies much higher than 50Hz, at which their reactance is lower, causing impulses of leakage current sufficient to trip the RCD / RCBO.

So, if the upstream connection arcs, the lights flicker but as there are no L-N suppression capacitors on the lighting circuit, its own RCD / RCBO doesn't trip. But the power circuits are likely to be feeding appliances with suppressors, so these do trip. I bet they wouldn't trip if the appliances were all disconnected and/or if the cooker switch is turned off. Does the cooker circuit feed an induction hob?

Will be interested to hear the resolution.

If I were to guess id say there is a low resitance between both L&N to earth on one of the circuits.. quite often the circuit effected wont trip as the imbalance is shared (both L&N) so the coil on the rcd wont trip.
I can't follow this logic when applied to a 230V single-phase system. You are implying that the leakage L-E is cancelled out by the leakage N-E resulting in no net imbalance, however this is almost impossible for two reasons. Under normal conditions, at most points along the circuit, the voltage between L -E (which is the supply voltage, around 230V) will be approximately in-phase with the voltage between N-E (due to the voltage drop in the neutral conductor, typically a few volts). This means that two similar resistances or reactances, connected L-E and N-E, will pass currents approximately in-phase that add instead of cancelling. There will likely be a slight phase difference between the voltages due to below-unity power-factor in the loads, as the N-E voltage drop is in phase with the load current. But obviously, not so much as to enable cancellation.

We might be able to conjure up a peculiar situation where there is an N-E voltage opposite in phase to the supply voltage, perhaps due to circulating currents in the the earthing system. But even in that peculiar situation we must now also contrive to make the resistances L-E and N-E lie within a specific range of ratios to make the leakage currents cancel. So if there's 230V L-E and say 2V N-E, the resistances must be in the ratio 230/2 to cancel completely. Taking 23mA as a typical threshold for an RCD, a standing leakage of 30mA via 7.7kΩ L-E would need to be cancelled by a leakage N-E of between 7 and 53mA so the resistance N-E would need to lie in the range 38-285Ω

Theoretically possible but most unlikely, so I would tend to discount 'symmetrical' leakage situations on SP+N wiring. Where it is more likely to occur is from conductors with symmetrical voltages. A 3-phase system could leak symmetrically to earth and not trip its RCD, if one were unlucky enough to have three identical low insulation resistances, but that too is pretty unlikely.

Simultaneous tripping of multiple power circuits that are proven not to be interconnected, plus flickering lights on a lighting circuit that is not tripping, suggest to me an intermittent connection upstream, possibly in the DNO supply, as is now suspected.

When an intermittent connection arcs, it causes rapid fluctuations in voltage which momentarily increases the leakage current through interference suppression capacitors connected L-E within class I appliances. These normally pass a small amount of functional leakage current which depends on the supply voltage and frequency. Xc = 1/(2*Π*50*C) and I = V/Xc. But the fast risetime spikes caused by the series arcing subject the capacitors to frequencies much higher than 50Hz, at which their reactance is lower, causing impulses of leakage current sufficient to trip the RCD / RCBO.

So, if the upstream connection arcs, the lights flicker but as there are no L-N suppression capacitors on the lighting circuit, its own RCD / RCBO doesn't trip. But the power circuits are likely to be feeding appliances with suppressors, so these do trip. I bet they wouldn't trip if the appliances were all disconnected and/or if the cooker switch is turned off. Does the cooker circuit feed an induction hob?

Will be interested to hear the resolution.

Thank you for this post Lucien Nunes - it explains something I knew could happen, but could never explain how it could happen! The basic description of how an RCD works leads to the conclusion that nothing upstream should be able to affect an RCD. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
It's in the hands of the DNO now to check out the supply. Seeing as one set of neighbours (two doors down) is experiencing a similar phenomenon, at exactly the same times as my customer, it seems likely that it's a supply issue on an individual phase? Hope so.

I will report back.

Thank you everyone for your input on this.

So, an update - UK power networks came out that night at 9pm (very impressed with that) - checked everything at the customer's cutout, the neighbour's cutout, and also checked the 'sub'??? (Transformer?) This is second hand info from the customer, so I'm not sure exactly what was checked. UKPN guy said "no fault found", but requested a data logger be fitted on the customer's intake point, to monitor it.
Oddly, since he came, nothing has tripped out, no flickering lights, no problems... Neighbours all report nothing too. So I don't know if he wiggled something or tightenned something but for now this fault has magically gone away.

I will let you know if the datalogger reveals anything.

Reply to Two RCBOs tripping together, no cross-connection. Need help… in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock