Discuss Earthing the base of a metal standard lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I presume you mean the earthing on the lamp holder in the 2nd photo. As the one on the base is pretty clear. So I have attached another photo showing the V shaped plate removed, where I believe the earth wire would go.

The discussion has got a bit side-tracked on fixing/replacing the lamp holder & it turns out this does screw on - (it was firm but not screwed on when I removed it), so apologies for not being clear on that point.

So the discussion really comes back to where we started - do I need to earth to the point on the base & if so what is the correct (original?) method. Or do we rely on earthing continuity from the lamp-holder.
I cannot see an earth terminal. I assume there is no locking ring, you really need a new lamp holder.

A modern switched brass lampholder will be almost identical in appearance to your existing one, costs very little, and will have an earth terminal attached to the base part. All that is needed is to replace the current lampholder and connect the earth wire in the flex to it, making sure that there is still slack in the earth wire if the live and neutral were pulled tight.
Keep the outer sheath on the flex all the way up into the lampholder.

I cannot see an earth terminal. I assume there is no locking ring, you really need a new lamp holder.
Thanks for your continued feedback.
So I cannot see any other purpose for the V shaped plate to be screwed here, other than to hold the earth. The original piece of earth at the bottom is bare wire, so I am guessing it was laid along & held in place by the narrow part of the V when screwed down. Quite different to what we are used to these days. It's possible I am wrong though & the earth was just connected at the base.

With a new lamp holder I'm thinking I have the risk of the thread being different as it's an antique item? (Belonged to the customer's Grandmother).

There is only one way of doing it properly, as I said in #6

You will also have to ensure that the cable is secured in the lamp so can't easily be pulled out.

But the base doesn't need earthing, the lampholder does!
Struggling with that, as the original earth appears to have been connected to the base (does that count as "manufacturers instructions"? 🙂) & Some here suggesting there is no earth connection on the original lamp holder.
Let's say for arguments sake the cable became frayed at the base of the lamp holder from the cable being moved about & the body of the lamp became live, are we still relying on the earth to the lamp-holder?
I should possibly mention here that the core of the lamp is also telescopic.

What was done in the past is neither here nor there. You need a new lamp holder which incorporates an earth terminal, a lamp holder which will fit securely to the existing thread.

Struggling with that, as the original earth appears to have been connected to the base (does that count as "manufacturers instructions"? 🙂) & Some here suggesting there is no earth connection on the original lamp holder.
Let's say for arguments sake the cable became frayed at the base of the lamp holder from the cable being moved about & the body of the lamp became live, are we still relying on the earth to the lamp-holder?
I should possibly mention here that the core of the lamp is also telescopic.

It doesn't matter where the original earth was connected, the original cable and connections are obviously long gone and how it was done will forever be a mystery.

As you are rewiring this you are taking responsibility of manufacturer for this.

The metal base etc contains an insulated and sheathed cable, the only part of the lamp which contains single insulated conductors is the lampholder. Therfore the part which needs to be earthed is the lampholder.
The rest of the metal parts will obviously have a connection to earth via the lampholder being screwed onto it.

If the cable becomes frayed in any normal and foreseeable use of the lamp then you have failed to secure it or protect it correctly.

What was done in the past is neither here nor there. You need a new lamp holder which incorporates an earth terminal, a lamp holder which will fit securely to the existing thread.
OK. What
It doesn't matter where the original earth was connected, the original cable and connections are obviously long gone and how it was done will forever be a mystery.

As you are rewiring this you are taking responsibility of manufacturer for this.

The metal base etc contains an insulated and sheathed cable, the only part of the lamp which contains single insulated conductors is the lampholder. Therfore the part which needs to be earthed is the lampholder.
The rest of the metal parts will obviously have a connection to earth via the lampholder being screwed onto it.

If the cable becomes frayed in any normal and foreseeable use of the lamp then you have failed to secure it or protect it correctly.
OK. Thanks for that. I will do as suggested & PAT test the earth resistance at the base. Hopefully OK. Just a little concerned about the number of moving parts between lamp holder & base (screw on brass ring plus telescopic pieces, that might potentially get oiled) & how much resistance this might introduce. I think the telescopic bits are brass (are on the outside anyway), so hopefully not liable to corrosion.

It is only the brass lamp holder which needs to be earthed. If the cord is installed correctly and correctly protected/restrained where it enters the lamp it is fine.

Reply to Earthing the base of a metal standard lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net