Discuss EICR Change of occupancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’m debating on a landlords forum on the use of “change of occupancy” on an EICR.
A large number of landlords feel this is to much, and it should be 5 years only, they are asking their electricians not to put this, and in the main their electricians are doing as they ask.
My reading of GN3 table 3.2 is “change of occupancy” is always there, then the period you decide on. How do you read this?

Where this really falls down is in a large HMO, if you had 12 bedrooms, change of occupancy could happen every month. In this case I would just put a period. But GN3 table 3.2 always uses change of occupancy.
In a typical rented property, change of occupancy seems sensible.

I’m debating on a landlords forum on the use of “change of occupancy” on an EICR.
A large number of landlords feel this is to much, and it should be 5 years only, they are asking their electricians not to put this, and in the main their electricians are doing as they ask.
My reading of GN3 table 3.2 is “change of occupancy” is always there, then the period you decide on. How do you read this?

Where this really falls down is in a large HMO, if you had 12 bedrooms, change of occupancy could happen every month. In this case I would just put a period. But GN3 table 3.2 always uses change of occupancy.
Nothing in the legislation saying it needs to be done on change of tenancy, just says max 5 year interval:

I agree, it could definitely be a problem for a landlord if the tenants change often. Not sure the best way round it really. A full EICR every time would work out expensive.

Nothing in the legislation saying it needs to be done on change of tenancy, just says max 5 year interval:

What about 3 i) c

ensure the FIRST inspection and testing is carried out—

(i)before the tenancy commences in relation to a new specified tenancy; or
(ii)by 1st April 2021 in relation to an existing specified tenancy.

Sorry, yes you are right. I need to read things more carefully!

The legislation is not prescriptive on the contents of the report, it leaves this to 18th edition. Therefore, do we include change of occupancy or not.

GN3 tale 3.2 gives recommendations, but it isn't law. Nothing in 652 or elsewhere in BS7671 that leads me to believe that EICR is needed on change of occupancy.

Can't help feeling that if that is what they want, that is what would be in the legislation

I've just read the EICR Codebreakers, Part 3 - Frequency of Next Inspection is a good read. NAPIT are suggesting the electrician should suggest a frequency, but it is the responsible persons who is responsible to assessing the safety, and therefore the frequency.
So if the landlord say's I want 5 years, you can advise against, and give your reasons, but it's his call.
So I've just done a complete U-Turn........

Since the new private rented sector regs came out I've stopped using 5 years or change of occupants, I now just put 5 years. If the landlord is conscientious, they may want a visual inspection done on change of occupants, but that would be up to them to decide.

I've just read the EICR Codebreakers, Part 3 - Frequency of Next Inspection is a good read. NAPIT are suggesting the electrician should suggest a frequency, but it is the responsible persons who is responsible to assessing the safety, and therefore the frequency.
So if the landlord say's I want 5 years, you can advise against, and give your reasons, but it's his call.
So I've just done a complete U-Turn........
Thank god for codebreakers hey, we would never have worked this out without it

New Occupancy / new tennacy could be 1 month or 20 years or more.
It's only mention in the Private Rented Sector legislation is in relation to testing prior to April 2021 which has now passed.

(2) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (1)(b) “at regular intervals” means—

(a) at intervals of no more than 5 years; or

(b)
where the most recent report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) requires such inspection and testing to be at intervals of less than 5 years, at the intervals specified in that report.

New Occupancy / new tennacy is not an interval.
I doubt it can be found anywhere in the regs or in any guidance on EICR as an interval for testing.

If I was a Landlord requesting a EICR, I'd make it clear at the time of request that I would not accept New Occupancy / New tennacy as a next test due date.

If I was presented with an EICR stating New Occupancy / new tennacy and the tester would not change it, I'd be very confident that no Local Authority or any other entity would be stupid enough to attempt procecution over failing to comply with the legislation within 5 years of that test.

If however the tester wanted to put a time period less than 5 years, then they would also have to state reason(s) why.

I agree, it could definitely be a problem for a landlord if the tenants change often. Not sure the best way round it really. A full EICR every time would work out expensive.
The problem, as we know, tenants fiddle with the electrics, if this is not checked on the change of tenancy the landlord will be liable if an accident happens to the new tenant due to a modification by the previous tenant.

if an old tennant has changed some switch fronts or plug sockets... and not done a good job of it, then surely as a landlord you would at least perform a visual check, but preferably get someone in to check any work the tennant was not allowed to do. Hence the reason for change of tenancy, rather than rent it out with dodgy switches which the letting agent may know nothing about.

I was thinking of more serious changes i.e. putting in an external socket without RCD protection and the new tenant is electrocuted whilst cutting the lawn, or putting in an electric shower etc:

I was thinking of more serious changes i.e. putting in an external socket without RCD protection and the new tenant is electrocuted whilst cutting the lawn, or putting in an electric shower etc:

Exactly, and let's not forget landlords are running a commercial enterprise offering a product that must be safe. Despite how they often kid themselves they're accidental or amature if your you're taken money for something then you have a duty of care and most importantly have to be able to demonstrate how they have discharged their duty.

if an old tennant has changed some switch fronts or plug sockets... and not done a good job of it, then surely as a landlord you would at least perform a visual check, but preferably get someone in to check any work the tennant was not allowed to do. Hence the reason for change of tenancy, rather than rent it out with dodgy switches which the letting agent may know nothing about.

I was thinking of a tamper seal process where an electrician can apply tamper seals above patress screws, across DBs etc..

If the seals are in place then a cursory once over on change of tannancy and a full EICR every 5 yrs.

If the seals are broken on change of tenancy then the tennant is liable for a full EICR.

Might work?

The problem, as we know, tenants fiddle with the electrics, if this is not checked on the change of tenancy the landlord will be liable if an accident happens to the new tenant due to a modification by the previous tenant.

Agree, this can happen. And a visual check should be done on change of tennancy.

Reply to EICR Change of occupancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock