Discuss EICR Change of occupancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have 1 landlord that gets me to check on change of tennant, but i also work for several landlords that don't get the places eicrd at all. Seems the ones that don't have agents didn't get the memo!

This is a good article, clears up any discrepancies on ‘change of occupancy’

Let’s hope it appears in Amendment 2, although I doubt it…….And this assumes the IET agree. Surly the IET should get the final say

This is a good article, clears up any discrepancies on ‘change of occupancy’

Let’s hope it appears in Amendment 2, although I doubt it…….And this assumes the IET agree. Surly the IET should get the final sa
Good article, but you're over thinking this. If the IET disagreed, then it would be regulation.

BS7671 652 Frequency of periodic inspection and testing, basically tells us to use our judgement. No more than that. The legislation tells us maximum 5 years. That is all you need to know.

I agree, it could definitely be a problem for a landlord if the tenants change often. Not sure the best way round it really. A full EICR every time would work out expensive.
Not if he had maintanece regime in place.. all social housing is tested if thers a change of tenancy, but it's a two hour safety check.. think key here is use same electrician with a record of checks being done.. why wouldn't ya want spark to check over if new tenants coming in.

@i=p/u Off the cuff remark, I have not read the article or the whole thread, Don't think its so much the new tenant coming in, rather what the old tenant may have done to the installation that the landlord is responsible for, without a new EICR to check nothing untoward had been done.

Yeah owner has duties to maintain and let safe environment. All these landlords looking away of not dealing with their responsibilities.

why wouldn't ya want spark to check over if new tenants coming in.

If that's neccessary at change of tennancy then so is a Gas Safety check, general plumbing check, full structural survey of the building, including gardens, paths, driveways.
Analysis of potential bacteria in the carpet and plenty more things that MAY be hazardous or a danger to a new tennant.

What is the law, it says in most books, every installation shall be maintained to not give rise to danger. Only way todo this or do everything reasonably practical is by having it tested.

It would seems sensible to re-test on change of tenancy, just in case the previous tenant has done something untoward, if I remember correctly we had to have a gas check at least once a year, or was that due to change of the twelve month tenancy contract?

Gas checks for rentals are every 12 months, presumably because gas appliances can deteriorate relatively quickly and the risk posed is considered too great. Electrical systems generally do not deteriorate that quickly. Correctly installed and un-molested, they will last for decades (perhaps with the exception of some outdoor equipment), and often fail safe.

It is possible for tenants to meddle with the electrics, but generally tenancy agreements prohibit this, and anyway it would become apparent with the periodic inspections that landlords make during the tenancy.

I presume anyone here advocating EICRs on change of tenancy are home owners, yes? And so you are not subject to the already ridiculously high costs of being too poor to own your home. The cost of all these checks ultimately filters down to the renter. The dangers posed by increasing these costs (ie homelessness) far out weigh the miniscule increase in safety by having EICRs at the end of each tenancy.

It is possible for tenants to meddle with the electrics, but generally tenancy agreements prohibit this, and anyway it would become apparent with the periodic inspections that landlords make during the tenancy.
I think this is the key point, that the landlord can check to see if anything looks molested and then get a proper inspection if there are any doubts.

I suspect it is far more likely that a tenant would fiddle with electrics than gas! But also more likely it is simple damage to accessories.

If that's neccessary at change of tennancy then so is a Gas Safety check, general plumbing check, full structural survey of the building, including gardens, paths, driveways.
Analysis of potential bacteria in the carpet and plenty more things that MAY be hazardous or a danger to a new tennant.
This response made me laugh, people forget that buildings stand for years without any issues, and that GAS safety is done yearly, whereas something equally as deadly as electrics can potentially be left unchecked for 5 years. I work for regional authority and we ask for EICR's at change of tenant, as tenants are not always nice enough to clean the property or leave electrical accessories intact or even in place.

I used to do a lot of testing for local authority houses and orbit houses. They both always had a PIR (back then) upon a change of tenant! For those exact reasons. I've been to some that had been totally stripped of everything worth anything. One we did they had took the boiler, radiators, copper pipe, immersion tank, header tank all the doors, sockets, switches, light fittings and consumer unit. All the wires were cut off most too short to join or refit to an accessory!
Great fun!!
Sy

Reply to EICR Change of occupancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock