Discuss EICR - Do these C2's Sound Legit? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HossUK

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a bit of advice.

I am a landlord of a 1st floor flat in a small purpose-built block built in the mid eighties I think.

I have just had an EICR and have been cited C2s on the following :--

5.11 Provision of additional protection by 30mA RCD (See Note), c) For Cables concealed in walls / partitions at a depth of less than 50mm
Observation: No rcd present - C2

What are the likely cables are they talking about here?

7 Current-using equipment
7.2 Equipment does not constitute a fire hazard
Observation: bare connector blocks connecting the en-suite down-lights and smoke detector (which is in the hallway not in the en-suite - c2)

What sort of connectors should be used if these constitute a fire hazard?

8 Locations containing a bath or shower
8.4 Presence of supplementary bonding conductors unless not required by BS7671:2018
Observation: not present with no rcd protection - C2

Can you enlighten me on this one?

Do these items sound like Legitimate C2's ??? Or is someone trying to get some work out of me? Because they have included a quote of £718 to resolve the 'urgent issues'. There were a few C3's as will including no RCD but I was expecting that.

If these issues are just 'touting for work' should I report it? If so who do you suggest I report to?

5.11 - C3, not compliant with present regs but was when installed.

7.2 - More info required either C1 or C3. If exposed, live conductive surface is touchable then C1. If a shonky taped up joint in a chock block then C3.

8.4 - C2, agree.

C3 shouldn't be seen as "can ignore" just that it is not an immediate danger or likely to become dangerous under fault conditions.

The taped up joint is an easy fix using Wago connectors in a maintenance free enclosure or other such product.

The others can be resolved by better RCD coverage.

Might be worth getting a few quotes for a board swap.

Having said all that without carrying out the EICR myself there may be some nuance I'm missing.

Agree with Westwood item 1 it a code 3 all day long and code 2 for the others £718 pounds sounds bit expensive though . Do you know what work they are doing for that?

Agree with Westwood item 1 it a code 3 all day long and code 2 for the others £718 pounds sounds bit expensive though . Do you know what work they are doing for that?

No ... As I said in the OP

to resolve the 'urgent issues' £718 so don't know if that included installation of RCD or not.

No ... As I said in the OP

to resolve the 'urgent issues' £718 so don't know if that included installation of RCD or not.
Tha price should be a consumer unit change which will resolve two of the issues and 15mins and £5 should resolve the other.

They've done an EICR so the circuits should be good to take RCD/RCBOs.

How many circuits?

Board change will need LA notification.

Thanks for your reply.

If it did include what you assume do you think that would be a competitive quote for central London?

Without knowing exactly what has been quoted for or what work is involved it is impossible to say.

Get a detailed quote for the work, then get another couple of quotes to compare it to.

I understand RCD protection, what makes no sense is your statement that it is a common denominator in relation to getting multiple quotes??
Ah right my bad I get you, I said get a few quotes so you can judge the best. Common denominator was my way of saying that it will be get rcd protection. In other words they will all say you need rcd protection so that will be the common denominator. Does that make sense Dave?

Reply to EICR - Do these C2's Sound Legit? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock