Discuss Eicr no CPC on lighting circuit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I have been asked to do a eicr on a property that I have found to have no CPC in the lighting circuit. Just wanted to know if this constitutes a c2, or vat best c3. Thank you in advance

If only Class 2 items fitted I would C3, if class 1 present then C2.

Even on a C3 I would expand in the comments stating there is a risk and that only class 2 accessories should be fitted and a warning notice displayed on the DB.

If only Class 2 items fitted I would C3, if class 1 present then C2.

Even on a C3 I would expand in the comments stating there is a risk and that only class 2 accessories should be fitted and a warning notice displayed on the DB.
Good and great idea Mate but how many Joe Public will take mote of that note on the DB? i suspect none.

My GF rents a house, had EICR done they c3 one of the downstairs light fitting metal all earthed and checked continuity all ok, the reason for c3 was no rcd on that circuit because class 1 fitting no other reason.

My GF rents a house, had EICR done they c3 one of the downstairs light fitting metal all earthed and checked continuity all ok, the reason for c3 was no rcd on that circuit because class 1 fitting no other reason.
Also the latest edition requires all lighting circuits in domestic to be RCD protected which would attract a C3.

Circuits supplying luminaries in domestic installations require additional protection by an rcd, it’s irrelevant if the fitting is a pendant or not.
It’s a C3 regardless of class of luminaries.

Just goes to show the inconsistency of these reports, bit like the government.
Remember the rcd is for additional protection, the fact that is plastic or metal has no bearing, it is a requirement for domestic installations so should always be highlighted as a code, now if it’s metal and has no fault protection to it for ADS then it’s a C2, this would be a C2 even if an rcd was present.

Remember the rcd is for additional protection, the fact that is plastic or metal has no bearing, it is a requirement for domestic installations so should always be highlighted as a code, now if it’s metal and has no fault protection to it for ADS then it’s a C2, this would be a C2 even if an rcd was present.
Im not disagreeing with you, just stating what the electrician said if all the fittings were class 2 he would not have coded at all.

I did one only 2 months ago. It had RCD protection but no cpc to lights or switches through out C3. Regardless of whether or not joe public take heed of what labels are on C/U if you have fulfilled your duty and warned them that only plastic class 2 switches and fittings can be used you have covered yourself. I also fitted plastic covers over screws on the switches so there was no metallic parts accessible to touch. I also took a picture of the C/U afterwards with the labels attached clearly showing no cpc warning label and circuits it related to.

During my last Stroma assesment about 3 months ago I was presented with this very question to which I answered C3 if all the fittings were class 2. No apparently. It's C2 all day long now as lack of cpc affects the ability of an RCBO to operate effectively. I did question this but assesor was adamant.

During my last Stroma assesment about 3 months ago I was presented with this very question to which I answered C3 if all the fittings were class 2. No apparently. It's C2 all day long now as lack of cpc affects the ability of an RCBO to operate effectively. I did question this but assesor was adamant.
I have always said with ADS you cannot rely upon an rcd in the absence of a cpc.

RCBOs do not need a CPC to operate effectively.

Your assessor is disagreeing with the Electrical Safety First best practice guides. The guide on EICR reporting recommends a C3 where there is a lack of CPC in a circuit supplying items of all insulated all class 2 equipment.
He is of course entitled to his own opinion, but it is up to the inspector to decide whether it's C3 or C2.

I have always said with ADS you cannot rely upon an rcd in the absence of a cpc.
I agree with you, except to say in this case that you are also relying on the use of all insulated and or Class 2 equipment.
The ideal solution is always to provide a CPC wherever possible. But as a last resort, the best practice guides give helpful advice on how to address the lack of CPCs in lighting circuits.
And there's nothing to stop you or anyone disagreeing with the advice given, and coding it as C2. It's up to you as the inspector.

Reply to Eicr no CPC on lighting circuit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net