Discuss EICR prices - 3 bed semi or per certificate? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was asked if I can test a domestic property in Liverpool yesterday, I said yes i can and told them I charge £120 for an EICR. They then replied
"£100 sounds better"
I replied saying no I charge £120 for a domestic EICR (Which i think is pretty reasonable?)
They did not reply!

Out of curiosity how much do you charge for a domestic EICR and what area are you from?
I Feel like £100 is too cheap for a proper inspection and test?
and do any of you negotiate on price at all?
I set a price and dont move from it as i think if i could do it any cheaper (without doing myself over) then I would? If i set a price and then lower it was i not overcharging in the first place?

Curious to hear other opinions!
£200 minimum. Location is Derry in the north-west of Ireland.

Literally anyone can carry out an EICR...and I mean anyone. I bet a lot of wet pants consider themselves competent.
They are not even notifiable works.
There is practically no record of anyone ever being injured by a poor EICR or a person testing being prosecuted for poor certification.

So, why on earth is anyone surprised at the absolutely diabolical part of our industry, that is EICR, is over run by chancers and cowboys ??

Literally anyone can carry out an EICR...and I mean anyone. I bet a lot of wet pants consider themselves competent.
You are correct. I've lost EICRs to wetpants in the past.
There is practically no record of anyone ever being injured by a poor EICR or a person testing being prosecuted for poor certification.
It's only a matter of time before a fatality occurs, I reckon. When rather than if.
So, why on earth is anyone surprised at the absolutely diabolical part of our industry, that is EICR, is over run by chancers and cowboys ??
I for one am no longer surprised by the appalling standards that I see in the greater Glasgow area week in, week out.
[automerge]1567116540[/automerge]
Prices for EICRs up here in Glasgow are ridiculously low. Ditto rewires and just about every other type of domestic work. Although the prices I charge are above the typical prices for this part of the country, they're still relatively low when compared with the prices some of you lucky guys down south are getting.

JK Electrical - Terms and Conditions - http://www.jkelectricalservices.com/pages/terms_and_conditions.html#eicr

Last edited:
£175 is my absolute minimum for any property. It's hardly ever that cheap though.
There are loads round here who make them up and go in and out in 40 minutes or so for £60. They are very popular with landlords.
I charge £150 for a standard 1-2 bed flat and £250 for a standard 3-4 bed house, any bigger and it's estimated on time or per circuit! I seem to do a lot of houses but not so many flats, mainly student let houses too.
Same here I charge around £220.00 as a Min. standard on a 2 bed House or Flat with a 6/8 way D.B takes around half a day 3 to 4 hours, then on my P.C. to issue a report etc, funny how some Electricians can do it for silly money as I will check at least drop off a socket & switch in each room, check outside the property for external electrics etc. also earthing for Gas water & Oil bonding or if cross bonding is required also, if cables or visible are supported correctly the correct selection of breakers/fused for circuits they are serving.
its not a quick thing as we are there as experts in our field and should give a good account of it.
so when I hear its too dear, I walk away as you will also get a taker and wish them good luck lol

Same here I charge around £220.00 as a Min. standard on a 2 bed House or Flat with a 6/8 way D.B takes around half a day 3 to 4 hours, then on my P.C. to issue a report etc, funny how some Electricians can do it for silly money as I will check at least drop off a socket & switch in each room, check outside the property for external electrics etc. also earthing for Gas water & Oil bonding or if cross bonding is required also, if cables or visible are supported correctly the correct selection of breakers/fused for circuits they are serving.
its not a quick thing as we are there as experts in our field and should give a good account of it.
so when I hear its too dear, I walk away as you will also get a taker and wish them good luck lol
Price Varys with myself if its in occupied property and not a nice one to test due to cleanliness I add more money which the landlord understands but bottom end I charge £120 on 1 Bed Flat/ Bungalow (Clean) then ranging up to £250 for 3 Bed House (Dirty)

I charge on average £175. I wouldn't negotiate, unless less work is required. I can't remember anyone ever saying 'no'.
It does sound as though prices are a bit area dependant though.

They are not even notifiable works.

Welcome to Britain! Anyone can install electrical equipment and wiring providing it's done in accordance with BS7671 regulations. If it's Notifiable the Building Authority must be informed but someone else will probably do it.

Anyone can inspect and test installations provided they use test equipment to BS EN 61010 and BS EN 61557, recording the results on any piece of paper provided that it contains the required information in appendix 6, BS7671, although other test methods can be used provided they give valid results.
All these things depend on compliance with BS7671, only it's not statutory so you don't have to. ?

Reply to EICR prices - 3 bed semi or per certificate? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock