Discuss EICR quotes : I'm curious about what people are charging ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
IMG_6388.png

I'm using Facebook market place as i have noticed HUGE amounts of electricians looking for work and I smell a rat .. And its time someone in the media was given enough info to run a story .

As above EICR is such a loose term

You can do a visual inspection of accessories and a bit of testing at the board and be done in about 2 hours

If you do a full EICR by dropping down all accessories , lifting some floor boards to check wiring condition , full test on a all circuits etc etc then it will take all day and possibly a second day

As above EICR is such a loose term

You can do a visual inspection of accessories and a bit of testing at the board and be done in about 2 hours

If you do a full EICR by dropping down all accessories , lifting some floor boards to check wiring condition , full test on a all circuits etc etc then it will take all day and possibly a second day
It'd have to be a pretty thorough EICR to involve lifting floorboards....as a result of of an inspection, now that's a different matter.
Unless there are problems at certain removed sockets or switches, I wouldn't deem it necessary to remove all to perform a full EICR.

It'd have to be a pretty thorough EICR to involve lifting floorboards....as a result of of an inspection, now that's a different matter.
Unless there are problems at certain removed sockets or switches, I wouldn't deem it necessary to remove all to perform a full EICR.
Yes, lifting boards is quite a step and probably only justified if you see poor cable condition at accessories and need more confirmation, or more likely if IR or ring-continuity tests point to some problem.

The point I am trying to raise is the term EIRC is very broad and loose ...

If someone rings me asking how much to do an EICR on a 3 bed house , I will always allow a near full day (4 hours min + travel time) and quote somewhere in the region of £300-400 , and for that they will get a thorough inspection, at least 80% of accessories dropped off and full set of tests...
The next bloke will also offer an EICR for £150 but for that you get a 1hr wizz round , only 1 or 2 accessories dropped and a couple loop tests at convienient sockets...

Both are EICRs , but both are very different...

The point I am trying to raise is the term EIRC is very broad and loose ...

If someone rings me asking how much to do an EICR on a 3 bed house , I will always allow a near full day (4 hours min + travel time) and quote somewhere in the region of £300-400 , and for that they will get a thorough inspection, at least 80% of accessories dropped off and full set of tests...
The next bloke will also offer an EICR for £150 but for that you get a 1hr wizz round , only 1 or 2 accessories dropped and a couple loop tests at convienient sockets...

Both are EICRs , but both are very different...
Or like my landlady's idea of getting an EICR done on the house I live in:

A young lad gets dropped off with a carrier bag for his tools, plugs his Megger 1741 into a socket to do a loop test which tripped the RCD, nothing written down as far as I could tell. DB cover not removed. No accessories removed.
Asks to borrow a pair of steps so he can change my dangerous bathroom light (was a batten lamp holder, outside the zones). The light he fitted was in the carrier bag already!
Gets picked up 59 minutes later and presumably on to the next one.

Wonder if I'll receive my copy of this "EICR" within 28 days...🌈

Yes, lifting boards is quite a step and probably only justified if you see poor cable condition at accessories and need more confirmation, or more likely if IR or ring-continuity tests point to some problem.
Unusual, but if previously arranged with the client with a price adjustment, fair enough. But, in general, an inspection is such. They are investigations into problems found, I feel, additional to the EICR.

Last edited:
I like to keep.it simple.
I charge a flat rate of £200 for an EICR. It takes around 4 hours. Perhaps £175 for a one bed flat.
I would charge more if there is more than 1 CU, or if larger than a 3 bed house, or if > 10 circuits (rare for me to get any of those 3 criteria).

I've had a phone call from a friend of a friend who wanted some EICR's done on 10×3 bed houses, quoted him £200/house and told him it will take me about 4 hours/house to complete them and he told me I'm way too expensive as the gut he was using for 10 years was giving him the certs in 30 minutes and was charging £48/house. He says "you could do them all in one day and you'll get good money, £480"
:))

I've had a phone call from a friend of a friend who wanted some EICR's done on 10×3 bed houses, quoted him £200/house and told him it will take me about 4 hours/house to complete them and he told me I'm way too expensive as the gut he was using for 10 years was giving him the certs in 30 minutes and was charging £48/house. He says "you could do them all in one day and you'll get good money, £480"
:))

A 'friend', you say?

£48 🤣

That would get you a Zs test at one socket , then on to the next house

I could probably manage 30 of them a day if on the same housing estate

The paper work I would get my 11 year old to write out as home work

I hope you explained to the friend of a friend that an EICR done in 30 minutes, for £48 isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.
It's worth alot if that EICR then allows you to let the property ! The fact that little or none testing has actually been done is irrelevant to the person ordering the EICR... he just needs one... end of.

We have a similar situation with Gas Safety Certs and EPC certs... all largely worthless if you consider what they actually tell you... but enormously valuable if you consider that you're required to have them before you can let/mortgage a property !

Reply to EICR quotes : I'm curious about what people are charging ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net