Discuss EICR Test Results mostly left blank in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Mornin'
I did a small job for a client earlier in the week and told her I need to complete a Minor Works cert - as you do..
She said that she didn't need one because she had this - waving an EICR under my nose.
Looking through the document, it all looked good until the last page - test results. All of the Continuity and IR boxes were marked N/R. All the other boxes for all the circuits were OK.
So I did my MWC and departed.
Thinking about it, not carrying out all the circuits tests for an EICR isn't something I'd do but is it necessarily incorrect? Guidance Note 3 suggests it's up to the tester to decide what tests are appropriate - thorough testing of circuits versus introducing wiring faults during the tests....
Do you all fill all of the boxes for every EICR.
PS..takes me all day to do an EICR but I note there's some 'electricians' claim to do multiple EICRs per day...
What do you think?

Depends on the information available already. If you do a PIR on a house with no previous paperwork you have to test everything or how can you say its satisfactory. If previous test results are available (almost never in a house) then you can take a selection which should be agreed with the customer.

Id say that report is worthless. How can he know if the cpcs or the ring circuits are intact?

Keep a record of the person who did the EICR. Tell the customer. - Not that you can do anything with it mind you.
Perhaps making it public on these forums that they are being noted might make some pull their socks up. I have about four in this category. More or less blank ( or completely wrong) EICR. Satisfies many landlords though.
A domestic EICR on an old house is an exhausting full-on day. I'd often be still writing it up at 11pm or next day.

An EICR should not be done as just a tick box exercise for a house sale, commercial H & S file with the minimum done it is designed to be done for a very good reason.

An EICR with most of the boxes not completed isn't worth the paper its written / printed on.....

I tend to provide the link to the Best Practice Guide No 4 ....

There is not always a need to do R1+R2 tests, this is really an initial verification test and the installation is already energised. If a previous EIC or EICR records Zs/R1+R2 test results and the new Zs tests compare then there is no point in time consuming and disruptive dead tests. An experienced inspector could also predict what Zs values are likely on a circuit and if the measured results are favourable then that's good enough. At the end of the day it is the Zs result that we are interested in to confirm ADS and polarity can be confirmed by means other than R1+R2. In many instances it is not practical to IR test each final circuit and a global test which gives a satisfactory reading is sufficient. If I do a global test I'll record the value on the first line of the schedule only and it will explained elsewhere.
So that's a lot of lims or boxes not filled in, but not an indication of a shoddy report, just common sense being exercised.

"There is not always a need to do R1+R2 tests, this is really an initial verification test and the installation is already energised."
Potentially true, but that's coming from a nice starting position. I get called out (and by the sound of it the OP) to do EICR on shoddy old places which have NEVER had any certificate, with mixed wiring from 60's, 70's and shoddy DIY bodges and downlights during 1980/90s. Plus kitchen fitters have been in since ! (need I say more).- And landlords are letting these out.

"There is not always a need to do R1+R2 tests, this is really an initial verification test and the installation is already energised."
Potentially true, but that's coming from a nice starting position. I get called out (and by the sound of it the OP) to do EICR on shoddy old places which have NEVER had any certificate, with mixed wiring from 60's, 70's and shoddy DIY bodges and downlights during 1980/90s. Plus kitchen fitters have been in since ! (need I say more).- And landlords are letting these out.
Which is why I didn't say "There is never a need...."

The point I was making is that an incompletely filled schedule is not necessarily a sign of a bad report.

I agree with Wirepuller here.
I always have a chat with the homeowner before hand (and send an email confirming what I will be testing) and usually L/N -E IR each circuit and ZS each circuit, but thinking about it a global IR would be ok. However, I quite like the idea of having individual IR results for each circuit (but not L-N unless the homeowner wants that during our chat) as you can pinpoint any deterioration more easily over the years.

I did one this week - the IR on one bank of circuits came back as almost zero N - earth.

I then did individual tests om each of the 4 circuits to ifentify the one with the issue. Still a C2 but at least there is only 1 to investigate is they want it fixed!

I would say that you should be verifying a particular circuit has an earth rather than getting a test meter and potentially whacking 25 amps worth of test current down the circuit.
Exposed parts /pipework that aren’t earthed can become a shock risk.

However I do realise that most test instruments won’t allow the test if the touch voltage detected is greater than 50 v

Reply to EICR Test Results mostly left blank in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net