Discuss Eicr in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Can you believe some idiot ,put on their report that a 4mm cable that supplies a cooker circuit,needs to be rewired in 6.0mm,there are 2 cookers in place each cabled in 4 mm.
The rewire would completely mess up all decorations & difficult to do.The rcbo that protects these circuits are both b type 32 amp.Im refusing to do this job,the premises are about 30 years old,& I have no problems with this arrangement,would you feel the same,cheers.

There is a trend nowadays for folk to over rate cables just in case. Not an issue normally for new cables as it allows future extra capacity. But some times you need to do the maths and go by what's needed not what maybe needed.
The current circuit protector is suitable for the cable and the current usage isn't tripping the breaker. So all good.

There is a trend nowadays for folk to over rate cables just in case. Not an issue normally for new cables as it allows future extra capacity. But some times you need to do the maths and go by what's needed not what maybe needed.
The current circuit protector is suitable for the cable and the current usage isn't tripping the breaker. So all good.
Cheers,like you say,you would use 6.0 mm these days,but 30 years ago 4.0 mm was adequate.

Ah. Ok so I would apply diversity to each cooker.
That makes 16.4A per cooker (@230v)'
Total demand for both is therefore greater than the protective device of 32A.
If you were doing this as a cable calc exercise in college then you would make it 6mm with a 40A MCB.

In practise it's just ok, very tight though.

Cheers,like you say,you would use 6.0 mm these days,but 30 years ago 4.0 mm was adequate.
Yes, but 30 years ago it was sized for one cooker. Now someone has added a second one. They have added not just an additional fan oven, but it is a full blown cooker with 4 hob rings and a grill and an oven.

The OP stated each cooker was wired in 4mm. "there are 2 cookers in place each cabled in 4 mm"
And that both RCBOs are 32A so implies each cooker is on its own 32A breaker.

Can you believe some idiot ,put on their report that a 4mm cable that supplies a cooker circuit,needs to be rewired in 6.0mm,there are 2 cookers in place each cabled in 4 mm.
The rewire would completely mess up all decorations & difficult to do.The rcbo that protects these circuits are both b type 32 amp.Im refusing to do this job,the premises are about 30 years old,& I have no problems with this arrangement,would you feel the same,cheers.
So you decide to call them idiots because you feel they have used incorrect judgement, well I agree with them.

Does the cable have to be replaced? Is it underrated for its current use?
If its unsafe (can't see how it is if its on a 32A RCBO) then yes it has be replaced.

As Lee says what are the installation methods for these cables, doing an EICR it is hard to judge unless you can see the full run of the cable. I find it difficult to believe, although not impossible these cables would actually comply. Bet the op would rewire them if it were a straightforward task, no questions asked.

Does the cable have to be replaced? Is it underrated for its current use?
If its unsafe (can't see how it is if its on a 32A RCBO) then yes it has be replaced.
No the cable does not need to be replaced,4.0mm cabling is rated at the lowest 32 amps in the regs table.
It's just another persons interpretation of the regs,I don't agree,thinking of the client here too.Complete waste of energy,when everything is ok.
Thanks for all replies,so many different opinions

As Lee says what are the installation methods for these cables, doing an EICR it is hard to judge unless you can see the full run of the cable. I find it difficult to believe, although not impossible these cables would actually comply. Bet the op would rewire them if it were a straightforward task, no questions asked.
Maybe,but there is no tell tale signs of damage to the cabling,it's definitely sheathed,I certainly won't be changing it,but maybe somebody else might,its down to my gaffer to decide.

I think a closer look at the oven instructions is called for. It could be that it has an oven and a grill and you can't use both at the same time..... which could have huge implications on the diversity calculations.

Just saying.

We have a range master cooker, which has a "theoretical" load of 17.7Kw - the manufacturers ask for 6mm cable and a 32A breaker...... I installed 10mm and a 40A breaker as it was part of a rewire....

Reply to Eicr in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock