Discuss elecsa v niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm just in the process of applying for elecsa registration, i intend to get the assessment done on my own house, Nic didn't seen to want to know unless you have been trading for 5 years and napit seemed (in my opinion) more geared for multi skilled trades (kitchen / bathroom fitters). all i can tell you so far is its ÂŁ444 to apply, ÂŁ280 for the assessment with some conditions (no more than 1/2 hour travel from your home etc) this gives you the ability to sign off any part p full scope works without going through the local building control. I'll keep you posted as i go through the process..... but i don't expect a 'Rapid Response' so don't hold yer breath :nonod:

I'm just in the process of applying for elecsa registration, i intend to get the assessment done on my own house, Nic didn't seen to want to know unless you have been trading for 5 years and napit seemed (in my opinion) more geared for multi skilled trades (kitchen / bathroom fitters). all i can tell you so far is its ÂŁ444 to apply, ÂŁ280 for the assessment with some conditions (no more than 1/2 hour travel from your home etc) this gives you the ability to sign off any part p full scope works without going through the local building control. I'll keep you posted as i go through the process..... but i don't expect a 'Rapid Response' so don't hold yer breath :nonod:

Are you going down the Part Pee route?

Depending how deaperate you are I would hang fire as Part P is under government review as of next month.
What qualification do you have?, why not approach your LABC & see if they'll except your certificates. I know a few lads who are doing it theses days, saves them a small fortune.
Just a thought.

Thankyou sparks72, i'll try the LABC see what they have to say, its the first time I've heard of this approach got to be worth a phonecall at least.

C&G 2382, 2391, Full scope level 'A' and Periodic inspection reporting all for 17th Edition

Thankyou sparks72, i'll try the LABC see what they have to say, its the first time I've heard of this approach got to be worth a phonecall at least.

C&G 2382, 2391, Full scope level 'A' and Periodic inspection reporting all for 17th Edition

Your welcome.

I know 3 guys doing it this way. 2 of them since part pee came out.

good luck & let me know how you get on.

i was with elecsa they are good but i got ****ed off with people keep asking me if i was NIC registered and then thinking i am incompetant when i said no, you can try and explain that elecsa and nic DI are basically the same thing but really the customer has allready made up their minds.

But then again some dont give a flying ---- as long as the light comes on when they press the switch.

So i changed to NIC DI.......

I am now in that stuation all over again where i am doing more and more commercial work and have had a few good installs/insurance PIRs etc come my way, then they say 'are you nic approved' and i say well no but i am a competent person and can issue you with a PIR, then they say 'but why have you got an NICEIC sign on your van then?'...........try explaining that one to joe public in one sentance.....oh well here we go again, looks like its more of my hard earned goin to the good ol' NIC, just so i can be considered competant and do a days work!

So it seems to me the bottom line is if you want to expand your business properly and want total freedom in the electrical contracting field to take on the work that comes your way (within reason), then you have to pay the NIC for it!

And i thought they were a charity organisation?!

Last edited by a moderator:
i was with elecsa they are good but i got ****ed off with people keep asking me if i was NIC registered and then thinking i am incompetant when i said no, you can try and explain that elecsa and nic DI are basically the same thing but really the customer has allready made up their minds.

But then again some dont give a flying ---- as long as the light comes on when they press the switch.

So i changed to NIC DI.......

I am now in that stuation all over again where i am doing more and more commercial work and have had a few good installs/insurance PIRs etc come my way, then they say 'are you nic approved' and i say well no but i am a competent person and can issue you with a PIR, then they say 'but why have you got an NICEIC sign on your van then?'...........try explaining that one to joe public in one sentance.....oh well here we go again, looks like its more of my hard earned goin to the good ol' NIC, just so i can be considered competant and do a days work!

So it seems to me the bottom line is if you want to expand your business properly and want total freedom in the electrical contracting field to take on the work that comes your way (within reason), then you have to pay the NIC for it!

And i thought they were a charity organisation?!

What qualifications do you have?

Some people get confused when they join the DI scheme, originally it was meant for kitchen & bathroom fitters but was extended to working Electricians.(apparentyl!)
The DI scheme doesn't make you an 'approved' contractor overnight.

IMO with the DI scheme your put in a catergory like a scond class citizen. (or in this case, a second class Electrician)
If you have your 2391 & 17th edition you can become an approved contractor. If you only have your 17th edition, you can only be on the DI scheme.

In a nutshell:

If you don't have all the qualifications an electrician should have, then you can't class yourself as an Electrician.

The NICEIC have clearly failed to point this out, another shambles of theirs!

Yes i understand DI is not an approved contractor by any stretch, what i am trying to get at is the confusion that is all the various levels of competence schemes

i am qualified 2360,2391,2382 nvq3, JIB gold App elec and i am currently awaiting my asessment for A/C, but my point was, if your serious about being in this trade and are not content with staying in the domestic market, like it or not you really need the full NIC approved staus,its not just Part P you need, whereas years back you could just self cert commercial work i now find for most serious jobs A/C is nearly allways required and it will only get stricter as time goes on,
i can see it wont be long before a part P type model will stretch to most types of electrical works, and an unregistered spark will not be able to do much at all

Yes i understand DI is not an approved contractor by any stretch, what i am trying to get at is the confusion that is all the various levels of competence schemes

i am qualified 2360,2391,2382 nvq3, JIB gold App elec and i am currently awaiting my asessment for A/C, but my point was, if your serious about being in this trade and are not content with staying in the domestic market, like it or not you really need the full NIC approved staus,its not just Part P you need, whereas years back you could just self cert commercial work i now find for most serious jobs A/C is nearly allways required and it will only get stricter as time goes on,

Might as well go approved then. you'll find companys want NICEC contractors because their insurance insist on them using NICEIC contractors.
Insurance!, another field the NICEIC is in, word has it that Zurich insurance is owned or part owned by the NICEC, a nice money spinner for them.

i can see it wont be long before a part P type model will stretch to most types of electrical works, and an unregistered spark will not be able to do much at all

No law whatsoever is going to stop unregistered Electricians from doing work. (unless the punishment is death by firing squad)

Warning to all electricians. I might be telling you something you already know but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TOUCH THE niceic. They are USELESS. any other body will be 10 times better han these people. If you want to learn the hard way (like I did) and join them, thats up to you but don't say I didn't warn you. This is a forum where you can get advice and this is the best advice I can give you.

Warning to all electricians. I might be telling you something you already know but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TOUCH THE niceic. They are USELESS. any other body will be 10 times better han these people. If you want to learn the hard way (like I did) and join them, thats up to you but don't say I didn't warn you. This is a forum where you can get advice and this is the best advice I can give you.

Well I've seen a few pro and anti NICEIC posts before but none quite so vehement. Why are they so bad in your considered opinion?

nobody up there knows what they are doing. Tech help is terrible. They seem to do everything they can to **** you off. They contradict themselves and others. they are argumentative. I could go on but no time. Hope this helps.

elecsa v niceic {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Originally Posted by mandrake elecsa v niceic {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Your welcome.

I know 3 guys doing it this way. 2 of them since part pee came out.

good luck & let me know how you get on.

I tried to contact the LABC but i am at a major geographical disadvantage with this approach Chorley, Bolton & Wigan are all separate areas (for labc purposes) and i am located in Chorley area, right on the edge (literally 200 yards away) of Bolton and under 1/2 a mile from Wigan so i need all three labc's to accept me or seriously limit where i can work. Preston(Chorley) were clueless, Wigan assumed that i would 'get someone to sign it off for you' and Bolton were by far the most helpful but didn't know of any such scheme operating in the Manchester area so part Pee route with elecsa it is. booked for Nov 11th and a new 1st amendment 17th edition + toolbox guide needed too, ouch.
When i have 5 mins spare I'll type up the checklist they require for documentation, Complaint procedure and insurance cover etc

with regard to the governments review of part p looks like it will be a while yet until things change.

"Having reviewed the responses, MP Andrew Stunell, said: “For me this is just the start of the process - their contribution has informed my programme of work for the next year, and I want to work with them further to ensure building regulations are fit for the 21st century."

The programme of reform has also now been set out with the following actions:
  • Set up Building Regulations Part P Technical Working Party
  • Develop proposals for amending regulations and guidance
  • Prepare formal Impact Assessment
  • Publish consultation document – December 2011
  • Conduct formal three month consultation
  • Publish analysis of responses – July 2012
  • Publish amended regulations and Approved Document – October 2012
  • Bring new regulations and guidance into effect – April 2013"

I'm in the process of going sole trader and have been weighing up the options of who to go with, all seems much of a muchness but as has been mentioned in this thread it seems that the nic seem to be the only joe public known one. I've had a good loom at napit though as a plumber friend and I may go down the property maintenance route and that would satisfy both sides. I've not looked at elecsa yet as their website appears to be broken and has been for a wee while :/

so much discussion about TWO of six options!

I have been with NAPIT for 4 years, have been fine, I don't care who am with just needed to be legal for domestic work, as it turns out a new one has arrived (STROMA) and they are cheapest (250). I have requested a transfer.

I don't care about courses, tech lines, etc etc. They are all middle men actually providing absolutely NOTHING just creaming electricians' money off them.

Ouch!

Just had a read around the stroma site.. Seems to tick the boxes to get me off the ground for sure. Decent price too.

Elecsa is your best bet... Nic are useless at best. We are with Nic but will not be staying with them.

Have you really had so much trouble with nic? maybe ive been lucky, so far ,they have served me quite well, i dont buy into all their certs and stickers etc though, i use easy cert, as they take the P charging you for software and then again for serial numbers too!

you have to play them at their own game!

I used to be registered with elecsa and have found they are quite good and relaxed, their assessment is a total piece of p### though!

Reply to elecsa v niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock