Discuss Electric guitar and insane amplifier noise!?! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

little__bear

Newbie here so i apologise in advance for any confusion! I know nothing about wiring but i have found diagrams etc online to look at and come to some assumptions.....

I have a tokai 'springy sound' electric guitar that all seems to be wired fine and has a ground wire from the bridge to the pots. So i am assuming here that the electric guitar is not a problem.

The amplifiers (one a large monitor amp and the other a small practice amp) give an awful hum and lots of 'snap crackle and pop' noises when my guitar is plugged in. One amplifier is a 15 watt guitar that has been electrically tested and yet creates all this noise. The large monitor also gives the same amount of noise.

When i put my hands on the guitar the noise drops dramatically but it is still there whilst playing and is obvious in recording...
Especially when i have added a 9v distortion box and a 9v wah pedal to the mix which makes it much much worse!! :-(

It is more than a general hum... there is a hum but lots of crackly sounds too... which is quite unnerving.

To note.... i sometimes get a weird electric current feeling (kinda feels furry) from my boyfriends laptop and from our general audio amplifier downstairs, which also makes a pop sound when the fridge turns on and off etc....

Anyways thats my situation...someone thought there could be an earth/ground loop in the house and some other musicians have suggested this:
Try plugging the amplifier, distortion box/wah pedal with the ground removed? by using a european 2 pin...

Obviously i dont want to cause harm to myself or my equipment so has anyone got any ideas to sort out this problem? or localise it to what the hell is causing it? its driving me crazy...

any help would be much appreciated....

thanks,

Do yourself a favour and get a spark in to check out the house electrics. The "funny" feeling you're getting is probably no earth on the amp or the socket it's plugged into. That being the case , you're the earth.
Your post reads a little confused but, Harmonics probably caused by a faulty jack lead, or your standing in front of the amp/speakers and causing feedback.
Crackle noises probably faulty/dirty pots on the amp or bad connections.
European two pin also has an earth contact.
Get it checked out before you light up the room with your head as a light bulb.

I've been with a guitarist when he lit up. Not a pretty sight and definately not recommended

Do yourself a favour and get a spark in to check out the house electrics. The "funny" feeling you're getting is probably no earth on the amp or the socket it's plugged into. That being the case , you're the earth.
Your post reads a little confused but, Harmonics probably caused by a faulty jack lead, or your standing in front of the amp/speakers and causing feedback.
Crackle noises probably faulty/dirty pots on the amp or bad connections.
European two pin also has an earth contact.
Get it checked out before you light up the room with your head as a light bulb.

I've been with a guitarist when he lit up. Not a pretty sight and definately not recommended

Thanks for this... i wont try messing with anything now... how much would it cost to have an electrician round?

Best thing to do is post a message on the Jobs board on the forum saying where you are and asking for somebody local to you to give you an estimate. Some kind hearted soul in your area might be able to give you some info. Deep pockets might be a requirement.

Hi Little bear
is worth getting electrics checked also reguarding guitar/amp fault have you tried this at say your mates house etc if so does it have same fault ?
Regards
Kung.

For my two bobs worth it is very essential to get the house electrics checked, something does not sound quite right, I have had a small bit of dealing with amps and guitars etc I reckon you might want to have a look at the lead from the guitar to the amp and the jack on the end for the clicks and pops issues you can get 1/4 inch jacks that are designed to short until they are plugged in which eliminates some of the bangs etc however I would not even consider the remove the earth option I shudder to think of the consequences, people have died from electrocution through guitars and faulty amps where the earth has been removed to eliminate noise. Keep strumming!
Sparky Steve.

Reply to Electric guitar and insane amplifier noise!?! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock